• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coney Meadow and Adjoining Areas (5 Viewers)

Hi Phil
My lad said it was about 3.30ish heading towards Worcester from Droitwich high school area. He describes it as 2/3 smaller than lbbg short tail and black on its wing tips

Hi Tim,

That description probably rules out the Upton bird which (I was told) was an adult and, therefore, should have no black in its wing-tips - but should show very distinct dark underwing contrasting with white trailing edge and tips. I believe the Upton bird was present from 1:40 pm till at least mid afternoon (relocated to moors).

Also, I assume you mean 2/3 size of BHG? 2/3 size of LBBG isn't small enough.

I'm not saying it wasn't one but I'm afraid the description given is lacking in key ID features of a Little Gull. Sorry :-C

don't say sorry. he didn't have any bins and he just mention it ,so I stuck it on just in case. we might get one right one day 8-P

No problem, Tim.

Apparently, Upton's bird on Sunday has now been re-identified as a second summer - which can show some black in the wing-tips and have less contrasting underwing.

However, LBBG is still an unusual starting place for LG description - it reminds me of the old tale of a tourist asking one of the locals for directions in Ireland - he got the reply "if that's where you want to go, then I wouldn't start from here" 8-P

Don't worry - I think you meant Black-headed which makes far more sense. Could've been one. :t:

Hi Dave , finally found the Little Owl at Linacre Paddocks tonight. Thanks for the text the other day , unfortunately I didn't have my phone at the time, so didn't pick up your message until much later.

MARSH TIT showing well and calling in Knight's Grove - plus another calling - the first I've seen on the patch since about 2005 - clearly I haven't been looking hard enough! Absolutely chuffed. :)

Edit: 2 now showing together.

Last edited:
Not bad for early June.

Re Marsh Tit - I think Wayne said he had one or two records at Westwood over the winter - after an absence for several years. I had thought the habitat at Knight's Grove looked good for them but it's a big wood and hard to cover it thoroughly.

Cuckoos this morning at Tapenhall and Salwarpe. 3 Gadwall at Tapenhall.

A Mink ran across the towpath a few yards in front of me between lock 5 and 6. It was carrying a small roach which it dropped whilst escaping from Mack. Presumably feeding young nearby. The 3 new cygnets at Porters Mill need to watch out.

3 Marsh Tits in Knight's Grove woodland this morning - including 1 possible juv - around the central area just before the bend in the track.

1 Spotted Flycatcher near the Sinton Lane entrance. Nuthatch also.

Cuckoos at Salwarpe, Ladywood and Tapenhall. 1 Sand Martin over Salwarpe.

Birds seen yesterday included Raven, Kingfisher, Cormorant, Treecreeper and Coal Tit.

Grasshopper Warbler started singing at 9:35 pm this evening at Coney. Just one Sand Martin and 3 Swallows roosted.

2 Brown Hares near Knight's Grove this evening and 2 Muntjac there this morning.

4 Lapwings still between Chatley and Tapenhall.

Grasshopper Warbler at Coney still - started singing at 21:44 this evening.
Little Owl at Linacres paddocks on Friday morning.
Hobby over Hawford this morning.
Male Cuckoo at Tapenhall - Mildenham this morning.
Just one Lapwing near Chatley yesterday.
Oystercatcher over Hawford farm this morning. Kestrel nearby.
Little Grebe and Tufted Duck between Chatley and Hawford yesterday on small pool.
Juveniles of Sedge Warblers, Blackcap, Reed Bunting Reed Warbler, Chaffinch and Goldfinches .
9 Gadwall flew over Hawford this morning.
Singing Willow Warbler still near Linacre bridge. Yellowhammers, Cormorant at Hawford, Skylarks, singing Lesser Whitethroats and Common Whitethroats, Linnets, Mistle Thrush and other common species. Buzzards, Sparrowhawk, Green and Great Spotted Woodpeckers, Nuthatches, Coal Tit and Goldcrest.
c50 Swifts over High Park / Coney this evening

Meadow Browns and Ringlet butterflies.
Noctule Bat over Coney this evening

My first Glow worm of the year late evening (10:20) - along the grass verge of the Romans Way c40 yards south of the railway bridge near a discarded Stella can!

Cuckoo chick being fed by warblers next to footpath by canal near St George playing fields 8.30pm ish.

Attachments

• BG1I5362-Edit11.jpg
    BG1I5362-Edit11.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 100

Users who are viewing this thread

Back