• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

An inexpensive 6x30? (1 Viewer)

Re. post 40.

The 4x22 may have only 2 blue coated surfaces, all the others uncoated. A pity, but that is how it is.
The box is marked 4x22WA
Greatest FOV 300M/1000M (17*)
Bak4 prism
Coated optics
CN Patent No.: ZL 01 2 21466.3

Chinese?

The photos on the box seem to indicate that the binocular may come from the same source as the various Bushnell Xtrawides.

My 4x22 is independent eyepiece focus. There was also a fixed focus variant.

The box says CHECKED. May be this means the box has been checked and not the binocular :)

Superview.

WARNING
Please do not look at the sun directly. otherwise it will hurt your eyes.

Actually the eye doesn't have pain receptors, but it would damage ones eyes.

The 6x30 Libra is ridiculously cheap if well collimated and a good sample, but the 4x22 makes more sense.

Looking again it seems that the 6x30 is indeed a longer barrel version of the 4x22.

If the 6x30 is individual focus or fixed focus it may not suit birdwatchers.

Binastro,
I think that you are right that the Libra is similar to the Dowling and Row and it is indeed a 4x22 body with longer barrels, so my curiosity grows, since such a quality for an incredible low price, how can that be possible??
Gijs van Ginkel

Like numerous Chinese binoculars, the fault is cheapness, brought about by customers who want something for nothing, or are only prepared to pay the cheapest price possible.

So what happens.
There are minimal coatings. In fact no coatings except on the two outer surfaces.
If every lens surface was single coated there would be a good improvement, plus perhaps quality control. This would lead to a 50% price increase. Would the punter pay? No. For something that looks identical to the cheap version.

Then coatings on the prisms, perhaps all surfaces multicoated, and quality control. Price double. Would the punter pay? No. For something externally identical to the cheap version.

This applies to numerous Chinese binoculars, some of which could be quite good.

It only seems to be Nikon, Opticron maybe, and Optical Vision who are prepared to sell cheap, medium and good quality binoculars.

This same punter driven cheapness is why the very successful multi billion dollar companies thrive, despite often having very questionable goods and standards.
Plus completely Alice in Wonderland advertising.

So we have to make do with what is available.

How many people would know if a binocular has almost no coatings or is fully multicoated and has quality control? Perhaps 5%, probably less.

The 6x30 at 20 euros probably leaves the factory gate for a few euros, the cost of a cup of coffee in a coffee bar, or a beer at a pub.

This doesn't apply only to binoculars, it applies to everything.

I just bought a secondhand camera with the charger lead missing. I got one for 59 pence, but I am fearful of using it as it is cheap Chinese. The same make extension socket lead caught fire, luckily while I watched.
So I will use a spare lead of a good brand from another camera.

It seems figure of 8 and C7 leads may be the same?

Gijs,
Does the 6x30 Libra have only the two outer surfaces single coated?

I would be interested to know the transmission.

Is the field about 11 degrees?

If I was able to buy them at 20 euros I would buy several.
If any were out of alignment I would want to cut them in half and have 6x30 monoculars for 10 euros.
One of these should make a nice upright finder for a telescope. These usually cost a lot more than 10 euros.

The 4x22 doesn't have much eye relief, so the 6x30 may not give the full field wearing glasses.

Binastro, post 46,
I will answer your questions as fast as I can, but at the moment some other jobs keep me busy, so wait with patience, it will come.
By the way, if you want to buy some: they can be ordered from Kamera Express in the Netherlands for 29,99 euros.
Gijs van Ginkel

Has someone derailed my thread? LOL
by inexpensive I mean 250 or under. ideally roofs.

to tell the truth....250 give or take is about top end for most 6x30 bins....you would be hard pressed to find a modern pair selling for above 300....

Last edited:
I noticed that also.
Clearly the coatings are only designed for show. Many makers do this nowadays, showing how the general public just want looks over substance.

They also mention that they have 'abominable environment'. I like their honesty.

Their astro stuff seems to encompass outdated items, such as 24.5mm eyepieces, accessories etc. Useful though.

The mount on their large 8 inch to 10 inch refractors look a bit too narrow.

They also quote mag 15.5 about for the 212mm refractor. Possible, but fainter than most makers state.

The 85 inch aperture telescope looks interesting, the largest in China they say.
However, they do offer samples, so I may just ask for one.

It seems to be a large organisation, but if I went for a large refractor I would go through a third party or more established firm in the U.K. with full warranty and checking before sale.

I pretty much tried all the 6x including the Vortex and Opticron. They all had short eye relief. Getting blackouts.
I did try the Steiner but has poor optics. Leopold while it has good optics the two different samples I tried the focus was way off.
Im giving up on the 6x there is no quality 6x.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back