• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Citril finch? Pyrenees, near Banos de Panticosa (1 Viewer)

chouette

Hi,

Picture attached. My best guess is a citril finch. Can anyone confirm this?

I saw a small flock of them a few days ago in trees at about 2000m above sea level. Voice: high pitched, regular tseep. Black patch visible on throat when emitting this noise. Flight in undulating bursts.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0066 REDUCED SIZE.jpg
    IMG_0066 REDUCED SIZE.jpg
    652.4 KB · Views: 208
Thanks Rosbifs. While we're here, and since you live in the area... I did a circular hike from Cauterets into Spain and back. All along my route, up in the high valleys, there were lots of black redstarts, and even more little greyish brown birds, perching in very visible places, and with a white patch on the tail visible only when in flight. Were these wheatears? They didn't look as distinctive as other wheatears I've seen, but maybe they're in autumn plumage already? I could post some poor quality photos of these, but given how many of them there were, I'm guessing you probably know what birds I'm talking about.

Thanks Rosbifs. While we're here, and since you live in the area... I did a circular hike from Cauterets into Spain and back. All along my route, up in the high valleys, there were lots of black redstarts, and even more little greyish brown birds, perching in very visible places, and with a white patch on the tail visible only when in flight. Were these wheatears? They didn't look as distinctive as other wheatears I've seen, but maybe they're in autumn plumage already? I could post some poor quality photos of these, but given how many of them there were, I'm guessing you probably know what birds I'm talking about.
You should post those photos, it's always good to have some visual to work on. Were the birds perching on the ground, e.g. on rocks (as opposed to trees or bushes)? That's what wheatears usually do.

Sure! They were perching on rocks and on the ground, not in trees. Here are a few pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_0097.jpg
    IMG_0097.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0102.jpg
    IMG_0102.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0118.jpg
    IMG_0118.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 49
Aha! Thanks Nutcracker. I was wondering whether the third picture was a different species. (I think the second picture is of the same individual as the first.)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back