• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

gulls (2 Viewers)

this meadow is bigger ;)
maybe the biggest in the world.

and barabensis usually doesn't have such a large p10 mirror, a shorter, blunter tipped bill and yellow legs instead of fleshy!

Last edited:
a new one since that meadow seems to be too remote ;) for europeans...

from the combination of the 3 you should be able to locate the region of the shot. i'm sure, jan knows the pic and he's got an incredible memory for photos he has already seen.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 213
Yes Lou I know the area and the species in the image - there just might be someone else who wants to have a go, although I doubt it ;)

JanJ

on first view i thought michahellis. but legs are short, dull yellow and mantle colour could match graellsii. and voila, that's what it is. couldn't resist looking it up, a brute male (what a bill!).

immature head and since i found this wing today...sth for jan unless he remembers the photo as well...

Attachments

• Kopie von DSC01704.JPG
    Kopie von DSC01704.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 260
  • lar.jpg
    lar.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:
Hi Lou.

The wing tip looks good both for Brown-headed Gull (brunnicephalus) and Grey-headed Gull (cirrocephalus) but brunnicephalus is favoured with less dark markings on inner primary coverts.
The head is rather impossible - rather heavy bill - although I don´t think michahellis or argentatus, or fuscus - one of barabensis heuglini is also possible or simply something I didn´t consider so to speak.

JanJ

That imm ain't any easier with the whole thing! - heuglini? but the bill looks troublingly long and thin??

Other bird hmmm looks like it should be cachinanns but too short legged looking - Armenian shouldn't have such big mirrors if I remember correctly??

I think I'll have fun in UAE next November!!

i'm sure you will, andrew! and some headache too i guess ;) good to have someone else appart from jan to participate in this "fun".

moulting 2cy birds as the first one often are just a mess. it could help that it was taken at the same location as the (female type) caspian with the very short legs(!) which you got right :clap: :clap:

it's romanian black sea coast at beginning of august
here's another pic of that cachinnans

if you come around this thread again, what do you make out of this 2cy bird, andrew? taken at the same place - we had it in the id-section a while ago and i'm not even sure we've been nailing it.

Attachments

• cach.JPG
    cach.JPG
    143.2 KB · Views: 264
  • Kopie von DSC01723.JPG
    Kopie von DSC01723.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 271
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back