• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Green Cay / Wakodahatchee wetlands (1 Viewer)

Tried on Saturday and i essentially stalked the boardwalk for Sora. A very nice volunteer confirmed that I was looking the right general area, but no luck that day.

However a trip to Green Cay is never a waste :). I got more shots of a Palm Warbler, got a white morph Little Blue Heron, and finally some decent pictures of Pied-billed Grebes.

BTW the volunteer was just coming back from the Bunting feeder. She said someone had reported them, but she hadn't seen them yet.

I didn't catch any buntings Saturday late afternoon...haven't seen any yet over there. I did see the sora again, in the same spot - he was being a little shy, and mostly staying in a clump of reeds just to the left of the bench, but some patience had him poke his head out a few times.

Weather was pretty crappy this weekend - poor light, humidity was back in force, and periodic rain...so I didn't get nearly as many photos - but still managed a few good hits of the old faithfuls (herons, egrets, ducks). I tracked a pair of warblers through the northernmost tree stand, but they never allowed me a photo this time. Fortunately, I got a good one at the beach...but I still need to confirm what type of warbler that was.

Me too - I'm headed out of country on Friday, and not back until Nov 9...so I won't be able to hit the wetlands for the next two weekends. I'm hoping by Nov 13 it'll really be picking up more of the winter migrators! I'm fairly confident you'll be seeing more and more sora - during the winter, I think I've spotted them at Green Cay every weekend, and a few times at Wako as well.

The Buntings were there today, as well as one very bright Spoonbill and a zippy Kestrel. But still no Sora. I'm going to try to get up early tomorrow...

I'm still outside the US - getting back tomorrow evening...haven't had much chance (nor desire, to be honest) to try for internet connections while traveling as it's vacation time. I won't make it there until the weekend, but I'm curious where the buntings have finally started showing up, so I can look for them.

I ran into some people who had seen them, early in the morning, just to the left of the walkway before you even get to the center.

But the best place is a specific feeder they frequent. If you take the middle boardwalk that bisects the loop, then turn left and the "T", go into the first chikee hut on your right. There's a feeder to the right of the hut. If you're facing the little info placard (I think on palms), then you're looking the right way.

I'm 95% sure those are the right directions. Next time I'm there I'll double check ;)

- and guess what?

I SAW A SORA! YAY! Okay, so my picture is laughable, but it's there and I'm SOoooo excited. I went right to where you said, and he popped out for a second. I must've waited there another hour, but no further movement. How the heck did you get a shot of one in the open?

AND I got at least two other new ones on Sunday - a Yellowthroat and a Harrier.

How many times have I been to Green Cay, and I can still get three new birds in one day?

Attachments

• sora.jpg
    sora.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 72
  • bunting.jpg
    bunting.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 67
Glad you finally got the sora. I just got lucky - funny I was there with another photographer, and we were looking for the sora to come out - we were whispering and being all quiet, and got nothing...then we sort of forgot ourselves and started having a conversation at normal levels, and next thing we know, there's the sora moving right through the open.

I finally made it out there today...and the selection is definitely getting better since before my vacation! I haven't gone through my photos, and probably won't for a few days, but among the catches/sightings were the northern harrier you mentioned (I think i finally got some good shots of him), the yellow-rumped warblers were everywhere, along with the palms and black-and-whites, blue winged teals as well as green winged teals, caught a glimpse of what I'm pretty sure was an indigo bunting (no photo though), a kestrel, and another belted kingfisher...along with the regulars of course. And the ospreys were doing some serious fishing - three times I saw ospreys carting fish as big as their bodies around Wakodahatchee today. And at Wako, the great blue herons have started nest building, and I saw at least two of them doing the tango...so little herons have started their path to creation.

Awesome. I need a Greeen winged Teal and a yellow Rumped Warbler.

I think I'm going to start hitting Okeeheelee for the buntings though. I can probably get closer to them there.

Agreed - I am planning to get up there myself for those. Do you think they're out in force yet up there? let me know if you go, and tell me how frequent or easy it is to sight them now.

They were at Wakodahatchee last winter - spent a good month or two down there. They mostly hung out around to the right where the GBH nests are, but moved to the front a few times. At least two regulars - possibly a couple more. Hopefully they'll return again this winter...though invasive, they're still pretty to photograph!

Good weekend at both places...lots of life around - getting very dense with birds at green cay, mostly with the astounding number of coots that moved in. This weekend saw good spottings of northern harrier, green winged teals have arrived in larger numbers, the warblers are really starting to fill in, with the palms and yellow-rumpeds joined by common yellothroats, yellow-throated warblers, and pine warblers. Roseate spoonbill was back at green cay, several red-shoulder hawks have returned, kingfishers were out over Wakodahatchee, monk parakeets did a flyby, and saw a female painted bunting at Green Cay. Plus, the sora were out again at BOTH parks! And my rarest sighting at Wakodahatchee yesterday - a large American Bittern which flew up out of the reeds but too fast for me to get focused and shoot. Still, haven't seen one of those for quite some time.

Gorgeous shot!

I barely tried Green Cay over the holiday weekend. I went Thanksgiving Day (after Okeeheelee turned out to be a bust) thinking that it would be deserted. instead it was packed. I went as far as the first (middle path) cypress hammock, saw a Palm Warbler, and called it a day.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back