• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kingfishers (7 Viewers)

I was surprised this morning with 2 Kingfisher on the Bourn either side of the Valley Parkway boating pond at Bournville. I've seen one there before but two was even better. One was on the Bourn where it meanders through the park after the pond, the other was by the Woodbrooke where it joins the Bourn. Two Heron present as well.
Then later a Kingfisher on the Bourn brook by the big pipes. It flew under the bridge to the concrete before the tunnel. It caught a fish. I got a bad photo before it flew off.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/88816303@N08/24760798658/in/dateposted-public/
I thought it was probably a different bird further up the Bourn Brook and I was right, there was another by the grey footbridge.
Four in a morning. Great!

The Kingfisher was present on the Bourn again this morning at Valley Parkway. It was in exactly the same place as yesterday. I shall keep checking. Always good to find a new Kingfisher location.
Also becoming a regular is the Sparrowhawk in my back garden. This might be the third week running. Definitely two weeks running. Great!

I've didn't get chance to check out the River Rea today but it was good to hear via twitter, the Kingfisher was seen flying upstream at Dogpool Lane. Great as always!

Kingfisher was at Valley Parkway this morning @10:45 seen briefly for 20 seconds
Steve

Good to hear Steve. It will be good to see how long it hangs around/can be found. I remember once I stopped by only to see one fly over the pond at exactly the same time.

Manor Farm Park

Forgot to post I saw the Female Goosander on Sunday.
Loads of BH Gulls
About 10 Tufteds.
I Large Gull

Attachments

• Goosander_filtered.jpg
    Goosander_filtered.jpg
    330.4 KB · Views: 11
  • Large Gull_filtered.jpg
    Large Gull_filtered.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 13
  • MF 1.jpg
    MF 1.jpg
    650.5 KB · Views: 11
  • MF 3.jpg
    MF 3.jpg
    755.5 KB · Views: 16
  • MF 4.jpg
    MF 4.jpg
    730.8 KB · Views: 15
A two-King day.

11.30am, shortly after seeing the Red Kite - Kingfisher heading east along the Bourn near the Boating Lake.

12.30pm - Lower Bittell - Kingfisher flew across the north end of Mill Shrub.

BOURNE at the QE....Female King...I was waiting tucked up by the large pipes and she flew upstream - landing in tree about half way from the bridge....got a couple shots but she must have spotted me and flew back downstream.
Grey Wagtails everywhere - about 4 from Pipes to Harbourne Lane...but I couldnt go any further as walkway closed.

Also Grey Wagtail on Rea at Coleys Lane bridge.

Attachments

• Canon 2017  DEC 1 068 aa.jpg
    Canon 2017 DEC 1 068 aa.jpg
    857.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Canon 2017  DEC 1 068.JPG
    Canon 2017 DEC 1 068.JPG
    801.5 KB · Views: 18
BOURNE at the QE....Female King...I was waiting tucked up by the large pipes and she flew upstream - landing in tree about half way from the bridge....got a couple shots but she must have spotted me and flew back downstream.
Grey Wagtails everywhere - about 4 from Pipes to Harbourne Lane...but I couldnt go any further as walkway closed.

Hi Keith. What time were you there?
I saw it there as well this afternoon.
A Heron was there. One that spends time waiting over the vegetation.
I was on a hat trick lol.
The regular Kingfisher on the Rea at Wychall with a Little Egret, Jay & Grey Wagtail.
Then the Kingfisher on the Bourn next to the Valley Parkway with a Heron.
Good views there as I could see it in the distance over the Bourn and it had its back to me.
Great!

A two-King day.

11.30am, shortly after seeing the Red Kite - Kingfisher heading east along the Bourn near the Boating Lake.

12.30pm - Lower Bittell - Kingfisher flew across the north end of Mill Shrub.

Nice one Rob. The Bourn Kingfisher was still there later.
The Red Kite was a good one!

The Red Kite was a good one!

I know they're not exactly rare around here, but I still did a double take when I saw it as it was so unexpected.

Also at lunchtime - Manor Farm Park lake was still frozen at the north end as far as the island, so no Goosander or Shoveler. Plenty of smaller birds in the woods though. I was pleased to find Treecreeper there again.

I was there 1-2 pm....

The Heron came over from where we had the Redstart....and landed up by the Pipes....but when I came back downstream it was virtually under me as I looked over the bridge...it shot up and back to the pipes.

Attachments

• Canon 2017  DEC 1 043 A_filtered.jpg
    Canon 2017 DEC 1 043 A_filtered.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 20
  • Canon 2017  DEC 1 045 A_filtered A.jpg
    Canon 2017 DEC 1 045 A_filtered A.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 17
I was there 1-2 pm....
The Heron came over from where we had the Redstart....and landed up by the Pipes....but when I came back downstream it was virtually under me as I looked over the bridge...it shot up and back to the pipes.
Good photo's thanks Keith.

I was up early and heard the Kingfisher fly past me in Bournville park.
It was a bit wet, cold & dark.
It called as it went past. That's twice now in the park.
I then found it in the usual tree over the Bourn next to the Valley Parkway boating pond.
That's three weeks running.
Great!

I then found it in the usual tree over the Bourn next to the Valley Parkway boating pond.

There was a Grey Heron along that stretch as well as the Kingfisher this morning. The Heron didn't seem all that bothered by the passing pedestrians.

There was a Grey Heron along that stretch as well as the Kingfisher this morning. The Heron didn't seem all that bothered by the passing pedestrians.
Nice one Rob!
The Heron was in the outflow this morning.
Two Kingfisher flew past me calling on the Bourn in Bournville park.
Then one was perched next to the Heron.
Great!
Later Trevor Jones saw a Goosander and some Tufted Ducks on the pond.

Last week the Heron was on the edge of the pool....came quite close before flying to the far side.

Attachments

• POOL HERON 2_filtered.jpg
    POOL HERON 2_filtered.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 17
  • POOL HERON.jpg
    POOL HERON.jpg
    772.5 KB · Views: 23
Last week the Heron was on the edge of the pool....came quite close before flying to the far side.

Nice one again Keith! Great!

I am always interested in where Kingfishers will turn up or fly over and saw this one on BTO;
Swanshurst Park on the 8th Nov.
I guess Sarehole Mill and the River Cole is nearby or maybe it was crossing from the Rea to the Cole.
The other interesting one is; Edgbaston Pool at Winterbourne House by ADW Tongue on the 17th October.
I hope to spot one there one day.
Thanks again to BTO and ADW Tongue.

(My weekend back garden news was the Sparrowhawk flew through again and caused the feeding tits to scatter in an instant. I'd never seen that before. Very impressive)

Kingfisher at first light on the Bourn, Valley Parkway then mid day on the River Rea, Selly Park.
(In the garden had a Jay on the bird feeder and a Mistle Trush in the trees making a clicking noise).
Great!

a Mistle Trush in the trees making a clicking noise
Great!

A Mistle Thrush flew over Rowheath fishing pool making the same clicking noise this afternoon, landing in a large tree which was already occupied by Starlings and Redwings, then immediately turned as though it knew it was being followed. Within seconds, the tree emptied as a male Sparrowhawk appeared. This also landed briefly in the now-empty tree.

FINALLY.......1st time spot of Kingy at Arrow Valley....the river was running a bit high and he was on the North shore in the low trees.....followed it along the edge but never got a clear sighting....lost him around the bridges area on the river.Looked again on the river for some time and when I got back to the pool he was near the Boat club and then shot across to the island.....strangely there was not a lot around today....a few Cormorant and 1 million Robins...lol

Attachments

• KINGGGG 1.jpg
    KINGGGG 1.jpg
    814.4 KB · Views: 43
  • KINGGGG 2.jpg
    KINGGGG 2.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 21
  • SWANNNNNN 1.jpg
    SWANNNNNN 1.jpg
    400.8 KB · Views: 25
  • SWANNNNN 2.jpg
    SWANNNNN 2.jpg