• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Great Knot (1 Viewer)

I'd love a Great Knot and I'd go anywhere for one, don't know why but it has a definite appeal for me. I can't remember why I didn't go for the Cleveland one. Was it 96? I think that may have been the start of my slightly crazy years!

Tom.

to mix threads.....

I'm sure we've all seen some great knots...

think it was 98/99 Tom - I was definitely in Indo and remember reading it in my school and had been hoping for one on my local patch there. B*astards I thought as i read it.

They are one of those special birds though i agree, along with things like Nordmann's Greenshank and Asiatic Dowitcher.....something about them. Remember seeing a large group of them on a beach in Darwin - managed to get very close.....coming into summer plum - just magic and one of those moments you remember for ever and make a big impression on you.....

come to think of it same thing happened when i was living in northern Greece - was looking for Slender-billed Curlews on my local patch there when one turned up in UK....

so be on your toes as i am off again on Monday - eith er this Knot was a day early or something else rather nice is due...... :C

Last edited:
Cleveland bird was 13 October - 5 November 1996.

I reckon I was definitley in my crazy period. Infact the picture I once posted of myself outside Twatt Post Office on Orkney was a few weeks before that and the last twitch I went on for quite a while.

Ahhh Great days!

tom mckinney said:
Cleveland bird was 13 October - 5 November 1996.

I reckon I was definitley in my crazy period. Infact the picture I once posted of myself outside Twatt Post Office on Orkney was a few weeks before that and the last twitch I went on for quite a while.

Ahhh Great days!

Tom,

Is that picture still available on BF? I don't think I'll use the search facility!

Stephen.

wow! that long ago......must be quite a bird for the 'new' twitchers then!

cheers Tom - I was miles off - my life was always a bit hazy pre-2000!!! Kinda finished twitching with the Winspit Bluetail and saw some in Thailand 96 which must have been why i didn't go. Otherwise........

Why am I laughing at Twatt Post Office? - god I'm so childish o:)

Rob Smallwood said:
Having seen the photo on the link I wonder if Great Knot could get overlooked as Ruff - or is it just a trick of the camera?
Yeah, probably could, particularly for someone without any knowledge of Great Knot. In western North America, they could also pass as a rather long-billed Surfbird - very similar plumage pattern in summer plumage

Michael

Early,this morning, at Burton Joyce stretch of the river Trent, Nottingham, spotted a Black Swan among a small group of Mute swans, is this more common than I imagine,else is it somethinga bit more special

mistake a Great Knot for a ruff?.....maybe at a push but not by a reasonably competent birder i wouldn't have thought, certainly knot(!) if you've had the fortune to see one before or are familiar with them.....

loner said:
Early,this morning, at Burton Joyce stretch of the river Trent, Nottingham, spotted a Black Swan among a small group of Mute swans, is this more common than I imagine,else is it somethinga bit more special

Is it me :h?: or does this have absolutely no relevance to this thread?

Mark

By the way I nearly went for the Great Knot but was saved by my wifes disapproving looks.

M N Reeder said:
Is it me :h?: or does this have absolutely no relevance to this thread?

Mark

Of course it does....the 1st time I saw a Black Swan,
I said to myself...

"Oh great....not another to add to my list." ;)

Dave.

Has it not been seen recently? :bounce:

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back