• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Great Knot (1 Viewer)

Rob Smallwood said:
Having seen the photo on the link I wonder if Great Knot could get overlooked as Ruff - or is it just a trick of the camera?

Rob,

It isn't the best photo in the world, believe me it looked nothing like a Ruff.

Regards,

Stephen.

Glad you saw it Stephen.
Thanks for updates.

Going, going Gone.......??

Think i'll have a look down if it gets re-located this evening.
SE

having seen the pix now, i can see why they could be passed over for a Ruff. I've only seen Great Knot in winter/spring plumages and they usually have a much more 'settled' appearance typical of Red Knots - plump and horizontal rather than this rangy looking, alert individual. Good example of a photo not really capturing the true nature/character of a bird

quite suprising - u learn something every day

Tim
I love your superior attitude of 'been there done that' do you have to practise much, or does it just come naturally ?

I realy thought I came across as a know it all ;) ........but.

Stephen, let us learner twitchers know whats going on as regards any developments.
SE

Hi Tom et al,
If it doesn't turn up again,you have my sympathies: the same happened to us all over here last Sunday,with only the finder seeing the Swords bird before it flew off....
Harry

Hi Stevie

thanks for the insult mate - nice one B :)

An attitude like mine only comes after years of hard work, reading, travelling, listening and studying :news: . It ain't easy you know.

guilty as charged - been here and there, done a bit of this and that and it has all been great - off to Sri Lanka Monday - sorry for enjoying my life and liking things 'foreign' o:)

wonder why lots of experienced birders don't come on here..... :h?:

some charming folks on here......

Tim Allwood said:
having seen the pix now, i can see why they could be passed over for a Ruff. I've only seen Great Knot in winter/spring plumages and they usually have a much more 'settled' appearance typical of Red Knots - plump and horizontal rather than this rangy looking, alert individual. Good example of a photo not really capturing the true nature/character of a bird

quite suprising - u learn something every day

Whilst I was there it generally looked plump and horizontal rather than alert.

Stephen.

Tim Allwood said:
Hi Stephen

cheers, I guess in the field it's prety distinctive then?

good luck to anyone going on spec tomorrow.....

Tim,

Let me put it like this. When I saw the Fairhaven Ivory Gull I thought it looked like an albino Common Gull, when I watched the Great Knot the word Ruff never entered my mind.

Regards,

Stephen.

Just for the record I was not casting doubt on the identification of this bird, I was merely suprised when I saw the photo.

My experience of Great Knot in the UK and abroad is limited to books - and I would never have thought that there could be a similarity!

Tim is spot on - the interesting point is the difference between the image captured by a camera and the actual "jizz" of the bird seen. Its a useful lesson when considering "what is this?" type photos on the Forum.

Last edited:
Tim Allwood said:
having seen the pix now, i can see why they could be passed over for a Ruff
Methinks you wouldn't confuse them, but given that (according to Bill Oddie) there's people around capable of sending in a report of a Ringed Plover to the BBRC, labelled 'Alpine Swift', well, I guess there'll be some people somewhere who would confuse the two ;)

Michael

Does anyone know if its the same bird that was on the Swords Estuary north of Dublin last Sunday but which was nor relocated on Monday?

I'm not sure if photos were posted of that bird.

Padraig.

Padraig,

The Swords bird was only seen by the finder before it flew off and I believe no pics were obtained.

There has to be a strong possibility it is the same bird.

Stephen.

Michael Frankis said:
Methinks you wouldn't confuse them, but given that (according to Bill Oddie) there's people around capable of sending in a report of a Ringed Plover to the BBRC, labelled 'Alpine Swift', well, I guess there'll be some people somewhere who would confuse the two ;)

Michael

a classic Michael - how could i forget that one..... :clap:

i'm more than capable of some shockers on my day though :eek!: .....or usually morning after more like.... B :)

Stephen Dunstan said:
Padraig,

The Swords bird was only seen by the finder before it flew off and I believe no pics were obtained.

There has to be a strong possibility it is the same bird.

Stephen.

I wonder how well known was the person who found it.
A lot hangs on the credibilty of that person.
Alot of searching went on the following day by the sound of it so must have been a strong possibility of being authentic.

Padraig.

Whether or not they're the same bird, the fact that the Irish one was found just before the English one surely lends credibility, whoever the observer was. No one could have predicted that.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back