• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

C-5060 ?? (1 Viewer)

I've seen some good reviews of the new Camedia c-5060 and I'm particularly interested in the wide end of the zoom for landscapes etc.
Has anybody tried it on a 'scope yet?

Hi Wiltshirejohn,

On behalf of Admin and the Moderators, welcome to Bird Forum :t:

I'm afraid that I can't help with your query either as I haven't tried out the camera. I used to have an Olympus C2000 which was the same basic design. You could extend the threaded body mount using a CLA-1 adapter to give I think it was 46mm thread which could then be coupled to a digiscoping adapter using step rings. You could get images through the scope with it. They never amounted to much though I suspect that was down to the smaller (60mm) non-ED glass scope that I had back then and poor technique on my part.

From the advertising I see that the new EagleEye digiscoping adapter is supposed to enable these wider lens cameras to be used, but I haven't read any user reports about doing so yet. Hopefully someone will have tried out this camera and can help more.

Hi Wiltshirejohn,
I just bought a 5060 (just 2 days ago)! I am still using my coolpix 4300, although I am trying to sell it now. I am in contact with Cheang Kum Seng from malaysia (who is one of the pioneers of digiscoping togetehr with Lawrence Poh) who is making adaptors for the 5060.
According to Cheang, the 5060 is th ebest replacement for the 990/995 Nikon cameras. He obviously convinced me, and I am making the switch from my 4300 to the Olympus.
He has sent me some photos which I think are great, and with the shear power of the 5060, I had no reason why I would choose the 4500 over the 5060.
Once I get my adaptor for attaching my 5060 to my Swarovski AT80HD, I go out to the field to get some pics. Will advice once I have them.

Hi Paul
I've now taken the plunge and bought one myself. I'm taking time to learn the characteristics of the camera first - then it will be attached to the Opticron ES80.
Much playing around and much learning to do!

Regards - John C.

Hi John,
Glad to hear that you have taken the plunge. Would like to keep in touch with you on your thoughts on an ongoing basis. As you know, there arn't many digiscopers using the 5060 yet. Hopefully this will change over time.
Would you mind giving me your e-mail?
Mine's
[email protected]

Best regards
Paul

I know these things have a remarkably low battery consumption but... I would like a spare battery.

I do NOT like Olympus' rip-off price for the BLM-1.

Anybody in the UK know of alternative suppliers?

wiltshirejohn said:
I've seen some good reviews of the new Camedia c-5060 and I'm particularly interested in the wide end of the zoom for landscapes etc.
Has anybody tried it on a 'scope yet?

Ooi Beng Yeng (Malaysia) has posted a few images on the Birds-Pix mail list using his C5060. He is using Cheang's adapter. The results look quiet good.

"...On the other hand the Olympus C-5060 does not vignette from its 4x down to about 2.5x on my Swarovski 20-60X scope, hence maximising the power of digiscoping just like the CP990 when the combined power of optical zoom of the camera and the scope.
Ooi Beng Yeng - on the Yahoo Groups Birds-Pix list"

I really like my CP5000 for digiscoping, but if I were buying a 5MP for digiscoping today, it would probably be the C5060.

Thanks Jay, that verifies my own early handheld experiments: i.e. no vignetting from about half zoom to full telephoto.
This is using an Opticron ES80 and 25x eyepiece.

John C.

I've got the Olympus C5050 (that's the 5060's older brother - or is it younger brother?) and was wondering if anyone has used it for digiscoping. What scopes/setups are good for a 'big lensed' camera like the 5050?

C-5050

I don't know about the 5050 but the 5060 certainly has a 'big' lens in terms of it's diameter. Now this does not matter a lot - see Jay Turberville's website (the URL is a few posts above this one.

Regards - John C.

UDCA added to kit.

In order to join together the C-5060 and the Opticron ES80 I have invested (and I use the word advisedly!!) in Opticron's UDCA (Universal Digital Camera Adapter).

Once set up, it holds the camera reasonably steady. However, the set up is fiddly and has to be repeated whenever you remove and replace the camera from the 'scope. Having said that, it does become quicker and easier with practice.

Whilst mounted on the 'scope you can swing the camera to one side in order to get 'on the bird' then swing back again for snapping.

Unfortunately, due to the shape of the 'scope prism housing and the required close mounting position for this camera the ammount of swing available is restricted. There is just enough room to get an eye to the eyepiece. I'm working on some mods.

FOR: Good steady mount.
Versatile - can be used with (almost) any camera/scope.
Good quality, well made.

AGAINST: Fiddly setup which must be repeated with each use.
Expensive.

Happy Snapping - John C.

p.s. Note to moderators - can/should this be cross-posted to another part of the forum? Suggestions?

Hi I have recently bought a 5060 and I have cheked with my Optolyt Compact APO HD and Eyepiece 20-60X not vignette fron 2x to 4x the problem I Have now is think what adapter I ned because the zoom is movil and if you works with the zom and hit whit the eyepiece produce a camera zoom error. I am wonderin if you have the solution for this.

By other hand I have see that the teleconverter Crystal Vue 8X32 fits and works pecfet whit this camera (a good new I think).http://ckcpower.com/

Whichever adapter you choose, you will have to do some set up.

With the UDCA that I described in a previous post, I turn the camera on and adjust the zoom until the barrel is at maximum extension and then proceed with setting up the adapter.

Thus the lens barrel will not be able to strike the eyepiece. As I said before - fiddly - but it works.

Regards - John C.

wiltshirejohn said:
Whilst mounted on the 'scope you can swing the camera to one side in order to get 'on the bird' then swing back again for snapping.
Unfortunately, due to the shape of the 'scope prism housing and the required close mounting position for this camera the ammount of swing available is restricted. There is just enough room to get an eye to the eyepiece. I'm working on some mods.
(Apologies for being a latecomer to this thread)
The above problem may be overcome by the use of a "Red Dot Sight" - as used with air pistols/rifles. For example J S Ramsbottom list a 30mm version for £29.95 - I have recently bought (but not yet fitted or used it yet) one and it provides a very clear image.
www.jsramsbottom.com/

Roger
http://www.jsramsbottom.com/

HI, I'm interested of using C-5060. I'm using now a Coolpix 885 with a Diascope 85 by Zeiss (30w), they are joined together with something I've made by myself with hard-paper.

I'd like to know about the Conversion Lens Adaptater CLA-7 wich is made to use optic accesories. Is it possible to use it to put the 5060 in front of eyepiece, with over part of course (made by myself; I repeat)... The thing I'd like to know is if it's possible to have the minimun vignette in using this CLA-7.

Thanks. Regards. Valère

Valère CLAVERIE said:
HI, I'm interested of using C-5060. I'm using now a Coolpix 885 with a Diascope 85 by Zeiss (30w), they are joined together with something I've made by myself with hard-paper.

I'd like to know about the Conversion Lens Adaptater CLA-7 wich is made to use optic accesories. Is it possible to use it to put the 5060 in front of eyepiece, with over part of course (made by myself; I repeat)... The thing I'd like to know is if it's possible to have the minimun vignette in using this CLA-7.

I believe the CLA-7 has a special proprietary bayonet mount on the "scope side". But I do believe there are third party adapters that have threads.

You might want to look at this fellows site and/or contact him.

http://pygge.spymac.net/spymac/

He is using the Zeiss Diascope and the C5060.

Adapter for C-5060

Valère CLAVERIE said:

Thanks. Regards. Valère

I've been using the UDCA as described in earlier posts. This holds the camera up to the 'scope eyepiece in about the same position as an adapter tube would. From full wide-angle to about one third zoom there is vignetting. From one third zoom to full tele, there is no vignetting

As Jay said above, the CLA7 has a 48.5mm thread at the camera end and an OLYMPUS proprietary bayonet at the front end. (Corporate greed trying to tie you in again!)

An alternative is an adapter made by RAYNOX (RT5248) which gives you a 52mm thread at the front end. Although Raynox obviously make this so you can use their add-on lenses, I'm sure that this would be a better start for your home-brew adapter. Here in the UK, Jessops sell it for less than £10.

Take a look towards the bottom of this URL:

http://www.raynox.co.jp/february/adapterpage.htm

Another useful source of adapters etc. is SRB Film Service.

http://www.srbfilm.co.uk/

Hope this helps - wiltshirejohn.

p.s. I've had my C-5060 for six months now and am absolutely delighted with it.
Also, I'm still learning how to use it! (So many bells & whistles)

p.p.s. The telescope eyepiece will of course be another big factor in the ammount of vignetting.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back