• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (15 Viewers)

If anybody is there today, can you note water level and post on here or let me/Phil know, so we can take appropriate action. We can't allow it to drop too much as the forecast looks relatively dry next week, so its imperative we get it right.
:t:John
Sorry, John, "relatively dry": Is that when the sky forgets to piss all over us for 5 Minutes?

Saturday 16th June

A wet and blustery morning had a couple goodies for the handful of birders who dared to venture out:

SAILING POOL
10 Mallard, 2 Canada Geese, 3 GC Grebe + 2 chicks (first time I have had a good look at them; seem more advanced than the pair on the Moors Pool)

MOORS POOL
Highlight was a pure white goose that frustratingly remained largely hidden in the vegetation on the East Island, Clive & Brian had ID'ed it as a Snow Goose and there was a similar entry in the log book for Thursday but based on what I saw Ross's would be a better bet - size, length of neck, "cute" appearance etc.
Otherwise it was very much business as usual: 3 Cormorant, 1 Grey Heron, 4 GC Grebe + 2 chicks, 42 Coot, 3 Moorhen, 11 Tufted Duck, 58 Canada Geese, 2 Mute Swans + 2 cygnets, 1 Lapwing, 4 Common Tern, 2 LBB Gull, 3 Oystercatchers + 2 chicks, 24 Mallard, 45 BH Gulls + only 6 chicks (verifying John's observations of the wipe-out of the colony on the Moors), young Carrion Crow being fed in Amy's Marsh, several young Wood Pigeon, a fox took a gosling

FLASHES
c170 BH Gull, 4 Moorhen, 2 Teal (m+f), 5 Coot, 28 Mallard, 2 Oystercatcher, 9 Canada Geese, 5 LRP, 10 Avocet and 7 chicks (difficult to count with the number of youngesters being brooded in the heavy rain), 2 Common Terns from the Moors Pool, second summer Common Gull, fledged Robin by the feeding station hide.
About 1.5 hours into my stay, my attention was caught by two small waders suddenly rising from the channel to the right of the hide and flying due south. Rushing to the rear of the hide, I forgot that my view would be blocked by the new porch. By the time I was correctly positioned they were way over the transmitter field; Sanderling would be my best guess based on size / bill length / wing bar but it was an annoyingly short observation. The pair were stooped by the Peregrine as they carried on south passed the transmitter masts. Cursing my luck, I returned to my vigil, resigned to a washout. However within 5 minutes a Sanderling emerged in amongst the islands where it remained (along rather wary) until I left and GLaB arrived at around 1pm. I dont believe this bird could have been one of the two departing birds so potentially there were three briefly on site.

With further heavy rain forecast this afternoon, the water level at 0.47, water pooling near sitting birds and John due on site tomorrow, the sluice was left draining water off.

Does anyone know anything about reports of a Little Gull and a large Lapwing chick at the Moors Pool on Thursday?

Here are a couple of record shots taken this afternoon of today's Sanderling:

Attachments

• Sanderling.DSCF6290.jpg
    Sanderling.DSCF6290.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 111
  • Sanderling2.DSCF6309.jpg
    Sanderling2.DSCF6309.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 91
Your right it is a hybrid Rob. The 'ross's goose' was seen on Friday..it is much smaller and totally white with black wing tips and a small pink bill and 'soft' expression.B :)John

Hi John - did you see the goose yesterday and if so, what did you make of it? Think the last Ross's at UW sported a gold ring?

No, I think Andy P did or was it Alan Hambury, I know somebody did.:t:

Definite Ross' Goose, but obviously of very dubious origins, present on Friday until 9.30am when it flew off SW with the Canadas.

Difficult to decide if leg ring is silver coloured or gold coloured.

Attachments

• 450D_000812.jpg
    450D_000812.jpg
    320.6 KB · Views: 116

Users who are viewing this thread

Back