• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meostar B1 10X42 HD (1 Viewer)

Yes thanks guys they are great, I am not a binocular expert like some on here but wow, I know when I pick up a bit of quality, they are wonderful, the S2 Meopta 82 HD scope is also brill with the 20-70x eyepiece, well pleased.

I wish they would produce an 8x42 HD... I realize the the 8x32 is very nice optically, and when I used it without glasses it worked flawlessly, but the 8x42 would work with my glasses so that would be preferable.

The MeoPro HD is a very nice value, but I think gives up a little to the MeoStar HD/Cabela's Euro HD series.

I have a late model 2018 8X42 Meostar, I personally do not think it needs HD, the lens coatings have been up graded, since I also have the 2012 version which I have compared it to.

Andy W.

I bought the same some years ago. Just lately I wanted to switch to the Nikon Monarch HG 8x42 but first I had dot get rid of the Meostar 10x42 HD. The price I asked for couldn't be realized - and now I am happy that my plan didn't work.

Andy/dries1, would you mind describing the comparison between the 2012 and 2018 version of you 8x42 Meostar B1?

Elmer,

Sorry for responding late. The difference between the view of the 2012 and 2018 is very subtle, but the 18 is just slightly brighter. The 2012 is still a great glass, and I would not hesitate to say it is better than many other 8X42s out there today.

Andy W.

Bought some today, my review of these goes like this.

Bloody great.
I totally approve of this opinion.

Just received mine and they're awesome. Felt heavy at first, out of the box, but when using it balances really great and suddenly feels as if it weighs nothing...well, far less.

I have only a Vanguard Endeavor EDII to compare it to and what a world of difference. So much better color and contrast, very sharp view edge to edge (just very minimal softening from about 85%), totally no chromatic abberation, and bright as day.

A few tiny design minuses: the case is beautiful (more polyester than the wool I read about) and protective but large, there's room to spare and as I travel light and compact, this takes up more space than the old Vanguard case. Could've been more snug. And the objective covers are tied with a tiny thread. So it's cutting that (and not able to fix it back to the bins, I think) or keeping those on. I'm gonna keep them on for now.

Focus know turns perfectly, although the grip could've been better; don't know how it will go with sweaty summer hands. It's slower than my old Vanguard but it gets into focus way better and easier. Pupillar distance is tight enough to not give way, but does when needed and moves easy then. Eyecups turn up in 2 solid steps and they are really pleasant to the eye sockets.

Yep, I'm totally in love. It feels rugged, handles great and the view is absolutely fenomenal. Got a deal (better; steal) on this for €612, last one in stock, so that's best money spent in a looooong while!

edit: used to put the bins lens first in the case, I now tried it sideways and then it's a perfect solid snug fit! Nice! Still have to attach the straps, so see how it goes then.

Edit2: just learned on yt that the button holding the objective covers comes unscrewed so the covers can go off and on again...

Last edited:
Hi pjcdad,

I have, and use a lot, a Meopta Meostar 8x32 since 2011. A GREAT binocular! I am still VERY happy with it!

Best

PHA

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back