• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Parakeet - London UK (1 Viewer)

ChrisKten

It's true, I quite like Pigeons
I've had Ring-necked Parakeets regularly feeding on the Sunflower Hearts for about three years - I see them at different stages of moult and all ages from fledged to adult... but this is the first male that I've seen like this. I thought it was an escaped Alexandrine Parakeet at first glance, but there's no red flash on the wings for a start - so that leaves hybrid or moulting or colour aberration.

What do you think?

(Bad light yesterday, so only managed this shot through the window. If needed, I'll get better pics if the light is better if/when he returns)

Attachments

• DSC08833RGp900n.jpg
    DSC08833RGp900n.jpg
    516.1 KB · Views: 116
Thanks for replying... yeah, redder neck-ring, and more width at the back of it exposed than I'm used to seeing. I thought it was head position, but the same width was visible whatever position the head and neck was in. I'd expect to see a thin pinkish-red line, not a wide reddish patch.

I'll put it down to how the feathers are laying, as I see no obvious signs (pin feathers) of moult.

I have heard that there were some Alexandrine parakeets in the original founding population of Psittacula in London, so there may have been hybridisation and some of the "Ring-necked" parakeets may be part Alexandrine (probably a few generations back). Though I'm not too sure whether hybridisation would occur successfully given the significant size difference...

I have heard that there were some Alexandrine parakeets in the original founding population of Psittacula in London, so there may have been hybridisation and some of the "Ring-necked" parakeets may be part Alexandrine (probably a few generations back). Though I'm not too sure whether hybridisation would occur successfully given the significant size difference...

Not likely as you say due to the size and species differences. The original theory is that a few ring necked parakeets escaped from a film set at Shepperton Studios back in the late 1950s and from this flock a feral population became established in the area and thus grew into the tens of thousands throughout London and the Home Counties.

Could be an escaped fancy breed of Ring-necked Parakeet (or have one such in its ancestry). Not Alexandrine, that's bigger and with an obviously huge bill.

Last edited:
There are many colour mutations in P. Krameri. Dark rose ring colour is one known one.
I think the UK p.krameri population has had multiple injections of seeding populations over at least 100 years. These parakeets have been exported from India and Africa across the world for many centuries.

Roseringed x alexandrine have hybridzed both in captivity and in feral populations
As far as I know the hybrids are at least partially fertile. F1 hybrids have a pale orange brown wing patch and the neck ring is wider in the nape.
http://www.psittacula-world.com/Species/Images/Hybr-P.kram-X-P.eup.jpg

I do not know how backcrosses to krameri would look but at least such an outcome with a broader neck band is possible, i´d say.

Ah, thanks for that, Joern... interesting info

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back