• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK dragonfly & damselfly sightings 2020 (1 Viewer)

Do you think they could be breeding there or migrants Paul? There has been two at the usual reservoir on the Isle of Wight during the last week. Again a possible local breeding site as ovipositing seen there during the last two years.

Do you think they could be breeding there or migrants Paul? There has been two at the usual reservoir on the Isle of Wight during the last week. Again a possible local breeding site as ovipositing seen there during the last two years.

They have bred on the Common - I found a teneral on the grass next to the lake on 11.08.17 - but I suspect you meen "persistent" breeding in that they mature locally and then produce another generation.

It's a difficult site to monitor because of all the footfall around the (small) lake and also that I'm the only one who is interested in recording dragonflies on Southampton Common :)

This was my first visit to the common this year as I have avoided overcrowded places so I had no chance to check for any tenerals or emergents and I don't have permission to get in the lake to try to find exuviae.

There are no fish in the lake - it is drained each winter - so there would be an opportunity for the larvae to survive the winter if the water was warm enough.

When I used to watch dragonflies at Badminston Gravel Pit nearer to the Hants coast there was often successful breeding from the insects that arrived in late May hrough June but I never saw a red male in the autumn - they all dispersed before maturity.

That answer was a bit of a long-winded "No" !

Paul

Is this a regular site for them? (A species I've still never seen. Tried Badminston once- failed).

Seems to be solid for both Red-veined Darter and Lesser Emperor these days.

I've just managed to miss that Broad Scarlet twice - Gone with the Wind by the time I got there.

You and me both. When would you think they will emerge, if at all?

Going by the dates of the dip photos, in the next couple of weeks.....

John

Pictures of Red-veined Darter(dozens there last year) and rubbish Lesser Emperor from last year, plus 2017 Lesser Emperor, all at Longham Lakes.

Attachments

• 20170709_Lesser_Emperor.JPG
    20170709_Lesser_Emperor.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 20190629 (4)_Red-veined_Darter.JPG
    20190629 (4)_Red-veined_Darter.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 20190629 (6)_Red-veined_Darter.JPG
    20190629 (6)_Red-veined_Darter.JPG
    163.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 20190629 (8)_Lesser_Emperor.JPG
    20190629 (8)_Lesser_Emperor.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Very early visit to Thursley yesterday to try and find emerging or teneral Brilliant Emeralds. Complete disaster, nothing emerging and no Emeralds at all. Maybe a bit late? This stunning Brown Hawker was some consolation.

Attachments

• IMG_0072 web.jpg
    IMG_0072 web.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 27
Nice ruddy darter in the garden yesterday along with a beautiful demoiselle; and a broad-bodied chaser. The white-legged damselfly is from our local wildlife centre today - not the greatest of shots.
PS just found a dead southern hawker. It was lying on our lawn next to the exuvia. I wonder what happened.

Attachments

• white-legged damselfly ex IMG_2152 (350).JPG
    white-legged damselfly ex IMG_2152 (350).JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 19
  • ruddy darter ex IMG_2141 (1000).JPG
    ruddy darter ex IMG_2141 (1000).JPG
    170.7 KB · Views: 15
  • beautiful demoiselle ex IMG_2089 (1000).JPG
    beautiful demoiselle ex IMG_2089 (1000).JPG
    151.6 KB · Views: 13
  • broad-bodied chaser ex IMG_2072 (1000).JPG
    broad-bodied chaser ex IMG_2072 (1000).JPG
    181.1 KB · Views: 12
  • southern hawker ex IMG_2171.JPG
    southern hawker ex IMG_2171.JPG
    265.9 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Very early visit to Thursley yesterday to try and find emerging or teneral Brilliant Emeralds. Complete disaster, nothing emerging and no Emeralds at all. Maybe a bit late? This stunning Brown Hawker was some consolation.

Possibly still too early, as I was at the Moat yesterday afternoon and while there were no Brilliants, there were plenty of Downies still. There are however Brilliant Emeralds on the Basingstoke Canal between Eelmoor and Claycart (where the canal is near Farnborough Airport)

John

Small Red-eyed Damselfies

There were quite a few on Southampton Common boating lake today. My earliest for the UK but a week behind the VC11 record. Red-veined Darters still ovopositing!

Attachments

• 600E_7020.jpg
    600E_7020.jpg
    279.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 600E_7035.jpg
    600E_7035.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 600E_7028.jpg
    600E_7028.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 21
Possibly still too early, as I was at the Moat yesterday afternoon and while there were no Brilliants, there were plenty of Downies still. There are however Brilliant Emeralds on the Basingstoke Canal between Eelmoor and Claycart (where the canal is near Farnborough Airport)

John

I was trying to follow in the footsteps of Marc Heath who had them emerging on 2/6/18. However Brooks/Cham/Lewington suggests peak emergence is late June. Maybe I'll give it another go, although the weather after today doesn't look too good.

There were quite a few on Southampton Common boating lake today. My earliest for the UK but a week behind the VC11 record. Red-veined Darters still ovopositing!

I had mine 2 days ago in west London at a couple of local sites around Northolt. Today noticed 4 ovipositing pairs.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back