• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Old Trinovid and Foton 10x40s (1 Viewer)

Joker,
It is pretty much on track for me.

A secondhand Foton at $150 is a bit pricey unless immaculate.

Whatever is bought it is the condition that is important and also it has to be well aligned, have good star images and resolution.
Really, one needs to try it.

B.

Joker,
It is pretty much on track for me.

A secondhand Foton at $150 is a bit pricey unless immaculate.

Whatever is bought it is the condition that is important and also it has to be well aligned, have good star images and resolution.
Really, one needs to try it.

B.

Thanks. I didn't want to turn it into something different than intended.

So, the Foton is probably out for me. It doesn't appear to be in excellent shape.

What about the Leica? Would it be phase coated? Are the chances that it would be superior to the older versions be high?

I think it could be purchased for between $200 and $300. Is that cheap enough to take a chance?

Again, it's solid functionally and optically, but a bit rough, and missing the caps and any case. 8x50BA is the version.

Neither is available to try. But, I did scrutinize and quiz, so until they would arrive, that's all I have.

By "marketing poop", are you saying that the old ones are no where as good as the p-coated ones, or that there was so much marketing hype about phase coating that it creates unreasonable expectations...or, both?

Again, not to keep going in a direction that Binastro did not intend (if I need to start a different thread, please, delete), but while I really like the old Trinovids, porros, bins like the Rangemaster, etc, they are all, for the most part, older than I am. So, while I have only had one "modern" pair of binoculars for hunting (gone now), I would love to have the best of the best for daily use.

Meanwhile, I would continue dabbling in the beautiful old classics. Not just for their cosmetics, but for their shocking optical quality too. I am not ready, mentally or financially, to drop a couple grand on a Zeiss Victory, or something. But, I have liquidated a boatload of project binoculars, and given away a good number too. So, I am trying to keep a few bucks back for snagging a good deal on an alpha bin or something close.

On the Trinovid path, would a cosmetically-challenged Leica Trinovid in the 8x50 configuration be a step-up? It would be around $300. No case or caps, or anything, but still functionally in good shape.

For background, reference the "step-up", I am still learning the fine details of the physics and coatings, etc, but I am, at least I think I am, pretty lucky or good at finding "deals". So, I have a group of really nice porros at pretty comfortable prices. Plus, I have the two Leitz Wetzlar Trinovids that I mentioned. The porros include Mk 43s, Rangemasters (FPO and Tamron), Swift Audubons (HR/5 and 820ED).

So, if the Trinovids would be comparable, or better than any of these, and the price is not horrible, I might jump on it.

Any opinion?

Or, would I be better to buy a Foton that I found for $150?

I meant the former. Phase correction was not marketing poop. It was a genuine step forward.

All of the Leica Trinovids are phase corrected, but early ones (BA) were not very bright or color neutral due to the Leica multi-coating of the day and the use of silver mirror coating in the prisms. You need only spend $300 or $400 wisely on new binoculars now to do better optically.

Joker,
Why buy anything rough from someone unknown, when something bought from a collector or enthusiast or a known binocular repairer will be better?
And probably a fair price if they have duplicates.

I only bought from reputable dealers or collectors, or at a very low price from charity shops after a quick inspection.
I have sometimes taken risks, but usually at prices I can afford to write off.

Everything shiny isn't gold.

Regards,
B.

Joker,
Why buy anything rough from someone unknown, when something bought from a collector or enthusiast or a known binocular repairer will be better?
And probably a fair price if they have duplicates.

I only bought from reputable dealers or collectors, or at a very low price from charity shops after a quick inspection.
I have sometimes taken risks, but usually at prices I can afford to write off.

Everything shiny isn't gold.

Regards,
B.

Good points, Binastro.

I am backing off of that particular bin, unless he comes back at half that price or so. On looking at it a second time, it might be a newer version than I first thought.

Regardless, I see your points, and agree. I was wondering, at first, if that price was a very good price. But, your and Henry's point(s) ($300 to $400 spent wisely) about caution in that regard makes sense.

Thank you.

Binastro, post 21 and other posts,
In my report (in English) about the Leica Retrovid 7x35B, yesterday published on the WEB-site of House of Outdoor, I have also investigated the Foton 7x35 (plus the fairly unknown Beck Diorit 8x30) and the new Kowa 6,5x32.
So if interested you can compare the performance of the Foton with the other binoculars.
Gijs van Ginkel

Hi Gijs,

Sometimes my old computer doesn't seem to get onto your reports.
So would you please tell me what the transmission is for the 7x35 Foton?

Regards,
B.

Binastro, post 27,
We found for the Foton 7x35:
500nm = 68,5%
550 nm = 69%
From 550 nm the spectrum levels of reaching roughly 60% at 700 nm.
Best regards,
Gijs

Binastro, post 29,
That is correct allthough the Retrovid climbs from 500-550 from 90% to 92%.
Surprise for me of this test was the Kowa 6,5x32 with a transmission of 90% constant over practically the whole spectrum.
Regards,
Gijs van Ginkel

To all readers,
Joachim just drew my attention to an error in my test report about the Leica Retrovid in which also the Kowa 6,5x32 was investigated. In table two I wrote that this binocular does not have phase coating, but that was wrong, so you can change it yourself, but I will also see into it that it is changed. Apologies for the confusion.
Gijs van Ginkel

Also there is the 5x25 Foton.
12.2 degree field from memory.
The one I have is very good. The objectives are actually 30mm aperture but stopped down somewhere inside giving a 5.0mm exit pupil.
This maybe gives a longer focal length than usual 25mm binocular objectives.

The 8x40 original Trinovid is not I think 80m at 1000m field size.

Regards,
B.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back