• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds in Colombia for ID (1 Viewer)

d.steeley

England
Hi all, my neice is travelling around Colombia and she is currently in Salento, Quindio. Knowing I am keen on birds she has just sent me these 3 pictures she took today. I said I would ask if anyone can ID them.

Thanks

Dave

Attachments

• bird 1.jpg
    bird 1.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 29
  • bird 2.jpg
    bird 2.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 33
  • bird 3.jpg
    bird 3.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 36
The first looks a better fit for Buff-tailed Coronet to me. The tail is in the shadow and so doesn't look as pale as one might expect. But the bill shape, the white `boots' and the colour of the underwing are all better for that species.

Andrea

Thanks for the replies everyone, looks like I nedd to give them a closer look. Here is another one she sent me later last night, I thought it might be an Oriole of some sort.

Dave

Attachments

• bird 4.jpg
    bird 4.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 16
The first looks a better fit for Buff-tailed Coronet to me. The tail is in the shadow and so doesn't look as pale as one might expect. But the bill shape, the white `boots' and the colour of the underwing are all better for that species.

Andrea

Agree, for the stated reasons

Thanks for the replies everyone, looks like I nedd to give them a closer look. Here is another one she sent me later last night, I thought it might be an Oriole of some sort.

Dave

Apart from the fact the tail looks a bit long, a reasonable fit to (male) saffron finch. Although I think it's difficult to be sure given the quality, I'm not sure what other options there are (bill is wrong for an oriole)

Hi all, thanks again for the replies, I'm learning quite a lot. I'll WhatsApp my niece to ask exactly where she took the photos.

Cheers

Dave

Andrea

You're right. I missed the booties.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back