• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Status of Egyptian Goose (1 Viewer)

TWM

Today I saw an Egyptian Goose at RSPB, Loch of Strathbeg.
It was unringed.
It is only the second or third record in NE Scotland.
There was one on the Ythan in the 90s which was accepted as a 'wild' bird.
I find it weird that I can probably add this to my list but Ruddy Shelduck for example is not acceptable.
I know that many ducks and some geese can have dubious credentials but there seem to be some big anomalies between what is OK and what isn't.
I'd be interested to hear the opinions of other birders.

It may be rare in Scotland but as a UK bird, Eqyptian Goose is now an abundant naturalised species, increasing in numbers year on year. Ruddy Shelduck doesn't have that status.

But Ruddy Shelducks do fine in Europe and are very likely to get here.
I've seen a few family groups over the years.

But Ruddy Shelducks do fine in Europe and are very likely to get here.
I've seen a few family groups over the years.
Very true . . . but try telling that to the BOU! They have some theory that there's a mass release of them every year by a group of bird breeders disposing of surplus stock, or something like that :eek!:

With Ruddy Shelduck, BOU did not yet catch up there is a 1000s-strong feral population in the Netherlands, Germany, France and surroundings. It is much bigger and closer than the natural population in the far South-Eastern Europe.

It seems no-brainer to look for a Ruddy Shelduck with a German or Dutch ring in Britain and get a cat. C tick. it is likely a regular migrant.

The same about naturalized Cackling Goose from the Netherlands, which is 100 times more likely than a wild bird from western half of North America.

The same about naturalized Cackling Goose from the Netherlands, which is 100 times more likely than a wild bird from western half of North America.
I'd agree in respect of Cackling Geese in the south & east of Britain, but many / most of the records have been in western Scotland; I'd think they're more likely to be wild origin :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back