• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Belted Kingfisher search (1 Viewer)

Boglin

I added a feeder to our backyard and to my surprise my 9 year old daughter became very interested in birds visiting it. We were talking about the birds at the feeder and she said the bird she wanted to see is blue with a pointed beak and dives for fish. Sounded like she was describing a kingfisher. So I dug out my birding guides and life list for her to look at. Sure enough she pointed out the kingfisher. She saw it wasn't on my list and wanted us to go find one. The guide said they were in Wisconsin.

So anyway long story short can anyone in the Wisconsin recommend a good location to spot a Belted Kingfisher?

Thanks!

Rivers, lakes, ponds....they should be pretty widespread. I'm not sure if concentrating on major rivers or areas with collections of bodies of water helps. I'd guess they like quiet spots with branches hanging over or near water, as that's where I've always seen them.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back