• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Diopter markings on Genesis XD reversed (1 Viewer)

Renze de Vries

Hi,

Have you Kowa users ever noticed that Kowa doesn't conform to the usual markings of + and - on the diopter setting? At least on my Kowa Genesis XD 8.5x44 the + and - are reversed.

Renze

The dioptre setting on my 8x33 Genesis is correctly marked for an anticlockwise turn (as seen from the eyepiece) towards plus.

John

The dioptre setting on my 8x33 Genesis is correctly marked for an anticlockwise turn (as seen from the eyepiece) towards plus.

John

Thanks John. I found a picture of your 8x33 on the Internet and it's exactly marked like my 8.5x44. The intriguing thing is however that when you say an anti clockwise turn of the diopter moves toward plus, the result is that I find the diopter marker (pointer?) on the body/armour indicating i've moved into minus. See what I mean? I find this confusing. Suppose you're in a shop evaluating binoculars and setting their diopters to plus 2 because that's what you eyes need, what would you do with the Kowa?

Renze

Attachments

• kowa-genesis-33-diopter-lg.jpg
    kowa-genesis-33-diopter-lg.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 60
Hi Renze

I too have a Genesis 8x33 and I can see what you mean although this interpretation of the marks on the collar never occurred to me.The marks on the body armour do not indicate plus or minus and are not even numbered 1,2,3 etc. The only 'help' you get from the bino is the direction indicators on the dioptre collar. Move it to the right for plus and to the left for minus. But it is true if you move the collar to the right there is a point when the direction indicator for minus is above the line on the body. But providing you remember that the arrows mean a direction and not a zone its OK.
For myself I don't trust the markings on binoculars to indicate the dioptre settings accurately so I just move the dioptre adjuster until the view is sharp and comfortable.

Lee

Hi Renze,

Indeed it would have been less ambiguous if Kowa had put plus and minus on the green armouring instead of on the dioptre setting.
IIRC I first saw the 33 mm Genesis models at Photokina in 2008. The dioptre setting on the prototypes was not only devoid of a locking device , but also of any markings.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back