• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawke Frontier ED 8x43! (1 Viewer)

Right, thanks David but on visits to an RSPB shop I did not find anything in that bracket to fit the bill. When I read old posts in this forum or Cloudynights things of interest tend to be out of production and unavailable. At least in UK, Orion Ultraview 8x42 is like that, even at Microglobe which I reckon has an excellent range. However, by coincidence it was on offer at Amazon uk, while their reasonable charges for duty and shipping made it the same as it is in USA.

Amazon also seemed more convenient than a trip to London just to try out Celestron Landscout 7x35. Pretty inexpensive and should be economical to return by post if necessary. I am planning to let my better half test it. Just now she discovered the self extinguishing properties of our kettle, by filling it right up, which others might not have thought of doing. If there is a weakness in any product she will find it |:d|

PS Avocet De-Luxe is a Swift-like item, just out of curiosity because it is 'vintage', but said to be in working order. The other attached images are Celestron Landscout and Orion Ultraview.

Attachments

• Avocet6.jpg
    Avocet6.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 50
  • Celestron Landscout 7x35.jpg
    Celestron Landscout 7x35.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 47
  • Orion Ultraview.jpg
    Orion Ultraview.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
I picked up an Avocet 20x50 scope in an auction job lot a few years ago. It was a bit battered and needed a clean, but turned out to be quite impressive optically. That binocular looks in excellent condition.

Note, Microglobe do not have that Landscout in stock, so it would be a wasted trip to London. I know there have been grumbles about their handling of orders for out of stock items.

David

mmm good point...and yes in pictures the Avocet looks very clean. It is marked 'HT2580', and maybe 'Japan'. Can you tell when it might have been made?

Chris

Attachments

• Avocet1.jpg
    Avocet1.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 41
I really don't know anything about these older models, but that looks like a JTII sticker whjch I think might have been phased out by the eighties. If you can find a stamped JB or JE mark it would tell you who made it.
http://home.europa.com/~telscope/jbcode.txt

There are a couple of collectors on the forum that might be able to tell you more.

David

David,

The Avocet and Landscout 7x35 were both excellent, exceeding expectations so have posted impressions for them.

The Orion Ultraview 8x42 was also unreasonably good, except that it was out of collimation so had to go back. The Amazon Global Store delivered them in a week but on the evidence of a tear in the box and second-hand sellotape they were had apparently been re-issued by the seller...not so good but Amazon has offered a full refund when confirmed, and to pay the cost of return, while the service itself was excellent.

Chris,

I did have a look at your reports. I still have a nagging suspicion that it was the Landscout I tried and wasn't particularly impressed at the time. Your comment that it wasn't as sharp as the Pentax rings true, but your your comparison with the Nikon EX isn't what I remember. I'll look out for it when I next get to a shop or show.

The Avocet looks a bit of a gem. If there is any comparison at all to that little scope I bought, it really should be up with your Pentax for centre sharpness. Shame about the ER though.

David

Last edited:
David,

Thank you. Yes I probably exaggerated any deficiencies of the Nikon EX 7x35, and now have not even got one. When one of our daughters had the choice of those I had at the time I was a bit sorry she took it away with her! Certainly a nice piece of kit...

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back