View Single Post
Old Monday 14th January 2013, 09:43   #7
lazza

Some good developments this weekend!

On Saturday, I had a brief cycle out on a loop round Guide Post, Sheepwash bridge and Bothal (smaller ponds and extremely wet farmland). Along with 36 woodpigeon on the Sheepwash road flashes, the bushes held a single

49. Wren

While the flooded fileds and small ponds south of the Bothal farmhouse held a good number of wildfowl, including gadwall (a first for these ponds for me), mute swan and coots. Also, a single

50. Lesser blackback gull

flew in harried by a couple of crows. Also a couple of small flocks of grey partridge.

On Sunday, I had a longer ride out to Newbiggin in clear but icy conditions, by way of Bothal Pond and QEII park/Woodhorn colliery museum.

Plenty of common species around including my first

51. Goldfinch

of the year by the weir at the foot of Whorral bank west of Morpeth, followed immediately by another small flock out by Pegswood fire station, where there were also nineteen

52. Golden Plover.

Bothal pond and the lake at QEII park both held large numbers of ducks (gadwall, wigeon, tufted, mallard - including a beautiful blue-headed mallard standing out among the usual green-headed, goldeneye, and the canada goose flock at Bothal continuing to grow, up to well over 200 yesterday), including (at QEII park):

53. Cormorant

The feeding stations at Woodhorn colliery were very busy with tits and finches, including singles of

54. Marsh tit, and
55. Bullfinch

(but only a single red squirrel (2) seen, briefly by the feeders at the car-park entrance).

Fiarly quiet at Church Point, Newbiggin, with the sea well out, but still several new birds for the 2013 list:

56. Shag
57. Ringed plover
58. Curlew
59. Turnstone
60. Eider

Finally, as I arrived back at Stobhill manor estate, there was a single winter-plumage

61. Common gull

on the field by the roundabout.

Last edited by lazza : Monday 25th February 2013 at 09:17.