View Single Post
Old Monday 16th February 2015, 14:17   #18
lazza

OK, quite a jump in the last few days....

Off on my bike again on Sunday morning, I headed up to Beacon Hill - always my first "hill" of the year, and quite exhausting. But I managed to add 3 more species to the year list.

Firstly, as I cycled over the ridge from the Piramal factory to the River Wansbeck, as I passed the edge of Borough Wood, I finally got my first:

83. Greenfinch

The hedges along the lanes through Mitford and up through Pigdon were buzzing with singing birds, with chaffinch and blue tit abundant all along the route, and a fair few song thrush, dunnock, robin and wren belting out their songs. But the highlight, literally stopping me in my tracks, was as I cycled up past Berryhill Farm, near Stanton, when a distinct call rang out from bushes:

84. Marsh tit

Beacon Hill was equally full of birdsong, and the woods rang out with lots of territorial behaviour, while on the freewheel back down into Morpeth, a small group of

85. Red-legged partridge

ran across the road in front of me

Onto today, when the news came to me of a local sighting, so I headed out to Coopies Lane industrial estate, and was straight away on to the pair of

86. Waxwing

in trees opposite the council Vehicle Depot. The pair fed on berries right by the fence on and off the whole 20 minutes I was there. And then a bonus on the way home, with a doleful call alerting me to a small party of

87. Bullfinch

at the entrance to our estate.
2019 year list: 235 (Snow Bunting, Bamburgh; October)