• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

looking for a *large* squirrel proof (cage) feeder (1 Viewer)

leonardo_simon

I'm looking for a large (e.g. high capacity) cage type squirrel proof feeder for sunflower seeds - can anyone point me towards a supplier please?

I can't find anything on the usual internet searches or round my local garden centres. The high capacity ones (super long) aren't squirrel proof (e.g. like the largest one here http://bit.ly/2vWxfsd)

Currently I have 3 feeders in the garden & they get emptied in about 2-3 days max.

any thoughts most appreciated, thanks

As you already have the feeders you might consider making your own squirrel cages to put them inside. You'll need a strong steel mesh with the right size spacing. If you fancy trying it you can get a good idea of the design by checking out the ones already in the marketplace.

I've made three - not for squirrels but because of woodpecker damage. The awkward bits are designing it so that it's still easy to fill and making sure that the cage is far enough away to prevent them still reaching the food by poking their heads through - this is simply a matter of ensuring that the cage "tube" is of sufficient diameter.

If you can source the right size mesh they're not too hard to make. :t:

Do make sure that the feeder is actually squirrel-proof before you buy, as I have bought many feeders with squirrel cages which do not seem to give the squirrels any problems! It needs to extend below the feeder as well as around it.

Do make sure that the feeder is actually squirrel-proof before you buy, as I have bought many feeders with squirrel cages which do not seem to give the squirrels any problems! It needs to extend below the feeder as well as around it.
Extend below feeder Interesting tell me more please do the squirrels chew through from the bottom, I have a RSPB one with a squirrel cage round it and its metal alround and below do they actually chew through metal ?

Since I've gone over to the "Squirrel Buster Feeders" I've had no problems with them. The minute they land on the feeder the ports shut down. They don't even try any more.

If you can put your feeders in a position where squirrels can't leap onto them from surrounding trees the following solution works well and provides hours of entertainment watching them fall off.

Bang wooded post in ground . Drill hole big enough to take broom handle through top of post. Push broom handle through so looks like a 'T'. Cut ends of plastic 1 litre pop bottles and thread onto broom handle. Hang feeders off ends of broom handle. Watch as plastic bottles turn, when Squirrels try to walk on them and deposit them on the deck!

I've not come across a Squirrel proof feeder yet and have taken to wrapping all mine in 1cm square stainless mesh so they at least can't chew them to bits easily.

Thanks for those links -- but I am after something that is both squirrel proof and large capacity -- by large capacity I mean 2kg or similar.

perhaps something like this -- but squirrel proof

https://d2j31icv6dlhz6.cloudfront.n...jw-conqueror-feeder-medium-90cm-330100111.jpg

so I don't need to refill every other day!

I'm in the process of designing my own 100% guaranteed squirrel proof feeder.It will be multi capacity,meaning that it is customizable so you can have the capacity of your choice and also designed in a way that it is impossible for a squirrel to hold on to the feeder.
I'll post some pics when ive got the prototype done and i know it works ok.

Have managed to work out a solution

I bought a 'bird feeder guardian' and pulled off the top two retaining bars -- this allows a larger (longer) feeder to fit through.

Seems to work well -- limited to the 'ring pull pro' brand feeders, but it's a start....

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-01-03 at 09.55.07.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-03 at 09.55.07.png
    136 KB · Views: 115
  • Screen Shot 2018-01-03 at 09.56.21.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-03 at 09.56.21.png
    105.3 KB · Views: 130
I've tried many types of supposedly squirrel proof feeders but none of them has worked long term. Now I use baffles and they are 100% successful. Where I am presently is the Ocala National Forest in Florida where Eastern Gray Squirrels are a major problem. Anytime that I look out I can see up to a dozen of them. They destroy a lot of property including car wiring. My feeders are on a shepherd's crook with the baffle about 1 m above the ground. The crook is more than 2 m from the closest tree. Squirrels frequently climb the crook but can't get past the baffle neither can the raccoons. Bears are a different story! They simply bend the crook so that they can get at the feeders.

I've tried many types of supposedly squirrel proof feeders but none of them has worked long term. Now I use baffles and they are 100% successful. Where I am presently is the Ocala National Forest in Florida where Eastern Gray Squirrels are a major problem. Anytime that I look out I can see up to a dozen of them. They destroy a lot of property including car wiring. My feeders are on a shepherd's crook with the baffle about 1 m above the ground. The crook is more than 2 m from the closest tree. Squirrels frequently climb the crook but can't get past the baffle neither can the raccoons. Bears are a different story! They simply bend the crook so that they can get at the feeders.

Would you mind to show us some pictures of the setup?

Thank you!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back