• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Night Parrot video & photos to be released. (1 Viewer)

Looks like the evidence this time is pretty incontrovertible. He has moving footage as well as pics! Those that have seen the footage have been left in no doubt.

Amazing stuff; I always knew they were still out there!B :)

Looks like the evidence this time is pretty incontrovertible. He has moving footage as well as pics! Those that have seen the footage have been left in no doubt.

Amazing stuff; I always knew they were still out there!B :)

Yes, very good news, much needed. It's like Australia's own miniature, nocturnal, desert Kakapo, or something...

I wonder what the future holds for the worlds rarest Parrot? Extensive administrative paperwork and massive land management exercises at least ;)

Yes, very good news, much needed. It's like Australia's own miniature, nocturnal, desert Kakapo, or something...

I wonder what the future holds for the worlds rarest Parrot? Extensive administrative paperwork and massive land management exercises at least ;)
We don't know for sure that it is the world's rarest parrot; there's two other Aussie contenders: Western Ground Parrot and Orange-bellied.

We don't know for sure that it is the world's rarest parrot; there's two other Aussie contenders: Western Ground Parrot and Orange-bellied.

Chowch and Si,
AWC (based at Mornington Wilderness Camp and elsewhere) have with landowners and traditional owners devised and implemented a burn control programme that has benefitted (amongst others) Gouldian Finch, by restoring the best age-class vegetation community within a large range of habitats, thus minimising lock-step restricted growth of mature vegetation. The scheme extended from Arnhem land to south and west of Mornington in WA. When I visited Mornington and spoke to the scientists, they had high hopes that this fire regime would be attractive to adjoining land users. By my reckoning, that wouldn't be that far from the Night Parrot's discovery area, and given the hypothesis that this species is a typical Australian interior wanderer, I can see that AWC could be a big player in this species' conservation.
MJB

Last edited:
Chowch and Si,
AWC (based at Mornington Wilderness Camp and elsewhere) have with landowners and traditional owners devised and implemented a burn control programme that has benefitted (amongst others) Gouldian Finch, by restoring the best age-class vegetation community within a large range of habitats, thus minimising lock-step restricted growth of mature vegetation. The scheme extended from Arnhem land to south and west of Mornington in WA. When I visited Mornington and spoke to the scientists, they had high hopes that this fire regime would be attractive to adjoining land users. By my reckoning, that wouldn't be that far from the Night Parrot's discovery area, and given the hypothesis that this species is a typical Australian interior wanderer, I can see that AWC could be a big player in this species' conservation.
MJB
Fascinating stuff... can we be sure that this regime is beneficial to the birds?

Chowch and Si,
MJB
Mornington Wilderness Camp (AWC) is in the Western Australian Kimberley region, a monsoonal (wet-dry) tropical region, dominated by tropical Eucalyptus woodlands (tree dominated) often with a groundcover of Triodia (Spinifex) and other grass.

Its roughly 2,000 km, from the recent (Queensland) Night Parrot find, and perhaps 900 km north of the Pilbara records (old specimens, recent obs).

Its also outside the known range of Night Parrot records. The range is poorly known, so its possible they could occur. But its a very long way from present find and a substantially different habitat type: tropical savanna woodland versus semi-arid shrubland/woodland presumably dominated by spinifex

Mornington Wilderness Camp (AWC) is in the Western Australian Kimberley region, a monsoonal (wet-dry) tropical region, dominated by tropical Eucalyptus woodlands (tree dominated) often with a groundcover of Triodia (Spinifex) and other grass.

Its roughly 2,000 km, from the recent (Queensland) Night Parrot find, and perhaps 900 km north of the Pilbara records (old specimens, recent obs).

Its also outside the known range of Night Parrot records. The range is poorly known, so its possible they could occur. But its a very long way from present find and a substantially different habitat type: tropical savanna woodland versus semi-arid shrubland/woodland presumably dominated by spinifex

Don't disagree, but their fire regime project covers a much larger area than just the AWC reserve...
MJB

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back