• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden (Yard) List 2014 (2 Viewers)

Wind and rain has meant I'm off to a very slow start but here's the list so far:

1)Blue Tit
2)Great Tit
3)Magpie
4)Rook
5)C Crow
6)Robin
7)House Sparrow
8)Feral Pigeon
9)Dunnock
10)Jackdaw
11)Kestrel
12)Chaffinch
13)Coal Tit
14)Blackbird
15)Herring Gull
16)Starling
17)Buzzard
18)Mute Swan
19)Wood Pigeon
20)Pied Wagtail
21)Green Woodpecker
22)Meadow Pipit
23)B H Gull

Damp, cool start to 2014 in LT. No snow, no ice. Really need colder conditions to get the best out of my feeders.

A brief look round to get the list going, everything on the feeders except the Bullfinch...

1 White-backed Woodpecker
2. Great Spotted Woodpecker
3. Middle Spotted Woodpecker
4. Great Tit
5. Blue Tit
6. Marsh Tit
7. Willow Tit
8. Nuthatch
9. Treecreeper
10. Jay
11. Bullfinch

Also Red Squirrel on the feeders. Great Tit count reached 201 today, really buzzing.

A few more in the past two days:

26)Fieldfare
27)Goldfinch
28)Sparrowhawk
29)Lesser Black-backed Gull
30)Stock Dove
31)Cormorant
32)Song Thrush

A bit of a late start for me, as this evening was my first time at home this year, and it was dark when I got here. Still, there was plenty of birdsong to be heard, and I saw two blackbirds. The list so far:
1. Blackbird
2. Robin (heard)
3. Wren (heard)
4. Pheasant (heard)
5. Rook (heard)
Being at home in daylight tomorrow should help me add a few more!

It's been a very ''slow'' start to the year so far. As of yesterday I was on 31, however this morning lower temperatures and a wall to wall blue sky brought me ''five newbies''. Two Mute Swan flyovers (sound of wingbeats ''heard'' well before seeing!), Goldcrest (very ''thin in the trees'' this Winter), Wren, male Blackcap plus a very brief at the feeder! starkly pale Redpoll, which was not confiding whatsoever, unlike the regular Lesser Reds. and to compound my misery, it was feeding behind the feeder, thus I could only see half of it, before flying up and away, and there was no mistaking the un-streaked white rump!!....thus a Meally at the very least..No.36.

Last edited:
It's been a very ''slow'' start to the year so far. As of yesterday I was on 31, however this morning lower temperatures and a wall to wall blue sky brought me ''five newbies''. Two Mute Swan flyovers (sound of wingbeats ''heard'' well before seeing!), Goldcrest (very ''thin in the trees'' this Winter), Wren, male Blackcap plus a very brief at the feeder! starkly pale Redpoll, which was not confiding whatsoever, unlike the regular Lesser Reds. and to compound my misery, it was feeding behind the feeder, thus I could only see half of it, before flying up and away, and there was no mistaking the un-streaked white rump!!....thus a Meally at the very least..No.36.

Some nice ones there Ken; would love to have a winter Blackcap but never had one. A few more to add for me:

33)Pheasant
34)Fieldfare
35)Lesser Redpoll
36)Peregrine

Last edited:
Up here at 3600ft in the French Alps the year has started unusually mild, so our garden, normally hidden under a couple of feet of snow, is actually green (we’ve even got some primroses in flower!). The feeders are hardly being visited and although usually in January I’d hope to clock up 35 to 40 species in, around and over the garden, so far this is the paltry result:
1 Common Buzzard
2 Woodpigeon
3 Wren
4 Blackbird
5 Fieldfare
6 Mistle Thrush
7 Great Tit
8 Marsh Tit
9 Blue Tit
10 Magpie
11 Jay
12 Carrion Crow
13 Raven
14 Italian Sparrow
15 House Sparrow
16 Brambling
17 Chaffinch
18 Greenfinch
19 Bullfinch
Still, it’s not a sprint etc etc

Last edited:
Nice to see some daylight today....
6. Blue Tit
7. Treecreeper
8. Buzzard
9. Sparrowhawk
10. Pied Wagtail
11. Goldfinch
12. Chaffinch
13. Coal Tit
14. Stock Dove
15. Woodpigeon
16. Carrion Crow
17. Mistle Thrush
18. Long-tailed Tit
19. Goldcrest
20. Starling
21. Great Spotted Woodpecker
22. Jackdaw
23. Great Tit
24. Herring Gull
25. Nuthatch

Still plenty of easy ones to get, so will be looking again later this afternoon....

Kind of late getting here, but I have not had too much yet! Only 22 species.

1. Snow Goose (flyover)
2. Canada Goose (flyover)
3. Bald Eagle (flyover)
4. Sharp-shinned Hawk
5. Cooper's Hawk
6. Red-tailed Hawk
7. Red-bellied Woodpecker
8. Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
9. Downy Woodpecker
10. Northern Flicker
11. Blue Jay
12. American Crow
13. Black-capped Chickadee
14. Tufted Titmouse
15. White-breasted Nuthatch
16. Brown Creeper
17. Carolina Wren
18. European Starling
19. Harris's Sparrow
20. Northern Cardinal
21. American Goldfinch
22. House Sparrow

Continuing mild and damp, wintering Three-toed Woodpecker continues, White-backed et al also, but otherwise not much happening at the feeders ...

12. Three-toed Woodpecker
13. Hooded Crow
14. Fieldfare

Some nice ones there Ken; would love to have a winter Blackcap but never had one. A few more to add for me:

33)Pheasant
34)Fieldfare
35)Lesser Redpoll
36)Peregrine

Joanne I see we're ''neck and neck'' again! (hope tongues don' wag ;)) I rarely get Blackcap ''mid-Winter'' perhaps the mild weather helped, being surrounded by Ivy...kinda helps though. However I managed to get a shot of the (much to my surprise) returning Meally yesterday before going out. Just added Mistle Thrush, and Collared Dove..38.

Attachments

• Pale Redpoll 9 looking L2R on branch..jpg
    Pale Redpoll 9 looking L2R on branch..jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Joanne,

Fieldfare is 26 & 34 on your list.

Dawn had me listening out for Dipper again in the frosty air, to no avail.
Very quiet skies here, though the feeders are busy and the Bullfinches have visited again.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back