• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden (Yard) List 2014 (1 Viewer)

Continuing mild and damp, wintering Three-toed Woodpecker continues, White-backed et al also, but otherwise not much happening at the feeders ...

12. Three-toed Woodpecker
13. Hooded Crow
14. Fieldfare

Ditto up here (well mild and dry rather than damp), I'm going to have sacks of seed left over by the end of the winter if this continues. At least the first Coal Tit and Goldfinch appeared today, and by straining my eyes I could see a dozen or so Alpine Chough cavorting about the slopes behind us....
20 Green Woodpecker
21 Coal Tit
22 Goldfinch
23 Alpine Chough

I've had just five days off work so far, and a few night shifts when I can get a couple of hours in. Loads to go still - but I expect to be overtaken before much longer!

Back on 36) with a fabulous male Hen Harrier. I'm so excited, only the second or third time for this species from my garden. I watched it catch something unidentified; it was small as he ate it quickly. Hopefully as he's eaten here, he'll be back.

Back on 36) with a fabulous male Hen Harrier. I'm so excited, only the second or third time for this species from my garden. I watched it catch something unidentified; it was small as he ate it quickly. Hopefully as he's eaten here, he'll be back.

What a fantastic sight!...and seen from the house!..well done.

Your 2nd/3rd :eek!:

Am certainly envious, many years ago I had a Hobby interacting with Sprawk over the house during June...the Sprawk peeled off...only to be replaced with a female Montagu's!...left me somewhat open mouthed!

What a fantastic sight!...and seen from the house!..well done.

Your 2nd/3rd :eek!:

Am certainly envious, many years ago I had a Hobby interacting with Sprawk over the house during June...the Sprawk peeled off...only to be replaced with a female Montagu's!...left me somewhat open mouthed!

Yes, the others were ringtails passing by, one low, one high, not to be seen again. It got even better this morning with him being seen a further two times, the closest being at less than 50 metres. I'm crossing my fingers hoping he sticks around! Male Hen Harriers have got to be one of the most spectacular birds; such power, grace and beauty.

Your Hobby, Sparrowhawk and Monty's must have been a pretty special moment too!

Nice indeed.

And continuing the raptor spirit ...

...most unexpected for mid-winter, a immature White-tailed Eagle battling through a snowstorm, circling round and landing near my feeding station.

In past years, whilst my feeding station sported no shortage of woodpeckers, there was a notable absence of finches and the like (most migrate out of Lithuania and my feeders are within woodland). This year however I set up a second feeding station a couple of hundred metres away on the edge of the meadows, the 'grain box' the centrepiece. Odd crows and Great Tits been utilising to date, but today, with the first snow of the winter today (very very late), the site immediately sprung into life - a dozen Hooded Crows, one Raven, a couple of Jays ...and nine Yellowhammers, two Greenfinches and a little flock of Mealy Redpolls, yippee to all the latters. Hopefully the next days will see these numbers mushrooming ...

15. White-tailed Eagle
16. Common Buzzard
17. Raven
18. Greenfinch
19. Mealy Redpoll
20. Yellowhammer

Last edited:
27. Tawny Owl (heard only)
With you there Half Two- House Sparrow, Greenfinch, Dunnock- anything really would do for me right now!

What a great pair of birds- hopefully something equally exciting will visit my garden this year.....

Nice indeed.

And continuing the raptor spirit ...

...most unexpected for mid-winter, a immature White-tailed Eagle battling through a snowstorm, circling round and landing near my feeding station.

Very very nice!

Perhaps we could have a sub garden list for raptors.............I'm on 5 so far.

Very very nice!

Perhaps we could have a sub garden list for raptors.............I'm on 5 so far.

Don't even think about it, like Halftwo I'm jealous of all these raptors in January, though yesterday I would have added Golden Eagle to this year's Garden list if I'd stayed in to watch through the window, I was only half a mile from the house when it circled overhead so it would have been easily visible (an incentive to practise 'lazy birding' if ever there was!). Still Buzzard later from my cosy chair gets me on the raptor scoreboard.
24 Buzzard
25 Nuthatch

Richard

Only 1 BOP for me so far, Sprawk!....however my first Siskin of the year...and trio of flyover Can.Geese...puts me on 40!

joannec said:
I have eleven (11) seen over the years flying over our yard. *Twelve if I count the vulture.

Mississippi Kite
Bald Eagle
Northern Harrier
Sharp-shinned Hawk
Cooper's Hawk
Northern Goshawk (rare in Missouri)
Broad-winged Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk
Ferruginous Hawk (casual/accidental in Missouri)
Rough-legged Hawk
American Kestrel

and if you want to add:
Turkey Vulture, seems like they can not determine whether it is a raptor, "stork like", or whatever.

* We have lived at our current location for over four decades.

a late comer to this years thread, but I wont be challenging the leader board. As others state its unseasonal mild weather here too, almost like late autumn ....

2013 Finished with 3 x Mealy Redpolls, sure thing that one of them would turn up the next morning..... errr, no!

Still missing regular House Sparrows

1. Collared Dove
2. Black Headed Gull
3. Rook
4. Woodpigeon
5. Magpie
6. Redwing
7. Greenfinch
8. Jackdaw
9. Lesser Redpoll
10. Robin
11. Great Tit
12. Blackbird
13. Sparrowhawk - m
14. Blue Tit
15. Coal Tit
16. Starling
17. Goldfinch
18. Long Tailed Tit
19. Canada Goose
20. Pied Wagtail
21. Lesser Black Backed Gull
22. Greater Black Backed Gull
23. Herring Gull
24. Dunnock
25. Carrion Crow
26. Chaffinch

Last edited:
28. Song Thrush (again heard only!)
One was calling before dawn this morning. Going horrifically slowly right now- will hopefully speed up when I can spend some more daylight at home!

My 2nd male Blackcap of the year today (prob.the same bird as before), pale Meally type Redpoll still present! plus a Grey Wagtail flying down into stream behind abode. No.41...on yer tail H. :)

cheers

Attachments

• Pale Redpoll with Blue Tit.jpg
    Pale Redpoll with Blue Tit.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 58
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back