• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is this normal for grackles (1 Viewer)

eiguoc

This is something we have never seen before. Hubby saw a bare tree in the water with 3 common grackles on it. One flew out over the water & hovered 2 ft over the water, then dove in. Just its head went in & it sat on the water like a duck for 4-5 secs, then flew back to tree with a smelt in its beak. One of the other grackles chased it away with the smelt. Shortly the 3rd grackle flew by with a smelt in its beak, Sorry no pics, Going back there again today if weather holds out. Is this normal for grackles?

I saw this 5 years ago and it shocked the heck out of me when I watched it. There were actually 2 Grackles hanging out over the water but the pic below only shows one. I took several picks of the event.

Attachments

• 052414Grackle1a.jpg
    052414Grackle1a.jpg
    363.9 KB · Views: 17
I saw this 5 years ago and it shocked the heck out of me when I watched it. There were actually 2 Grackles hanging out over the water but the pic below only shows one. I took several picks of the event.
Good pic KC. We went back to same spot, a flooded creek spilling into Lake Ontario,plenty of smelts about, but do you think one would dive down & grab some, nope, one had a bath instead. Missed the one with smelt in beak. Determined to get a pic of one like that We saw at least 10 flying about the creek entrance, , even chasing the gulls

Last edited:
Good pic KC. We went back to same spot, a flooded creek spilling into Lake Ontario,plenty of smelts about, but do you think one would dive down & grab some, nope, one had a bath instead. Missed the one with smelt in beak. Determined to get a pic of one like that, We saw at least 10 flying about there by mouth of creek, even chasing the gulls

Attachments

• 11646v.JPG
    11646v.JPG
    781.9 KB · Views: 9
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back