• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden List 2011 (1 Viewer)

A raptor-full sky today - many Buzzards, a Sparrowhawk and a high Peregrine, followed by a distant but sure-enough

65 : OSPREY !!!

Ooof! Quite jealous. Want one. Had it on my previous garden list in Upton, Chester, but still waiting here in North Wales. This year maybe...?

James

Oh WOW! That's early.

They've already arrved back at their nest in Wales and elsewhere - 'tis the season.

That Peregrine (ad. male) has been on the steeple again - and attacking a Buzzard first thing, before heading off.

This morning (bright & sunny) a

66 : Meadow pipit

passed through.

I was wondering that too.............looks like some serious competition!:eek!:

With flyovers could be 'formidable!'....with 3 Lesser Redpoll on the 13th and Chiff Chaff in the grdn. on Sunday, edges me up to 30 in..and 21 out.

Some unusual flyovers this morning: Heron, Greylag and Curlew. And, tantalisingly too distant, a flock of what were probably Golden plover!

But, silently passing through the garden, an inevitable

67 : Chiffchaff.

Edit: 50 species by 11 am. (Peregrine, Sparrowhawk, Kestrel & Buzzards in the warm thermals, Meadow pipits coming through - even butterflies today.)

Re-edit: miscounted - was 48 spp.

Last edited:
I feel slightly shamed by the list totals being quoted on here. I managed a paltry 27 in over a decade at my last house.

During that time I never saw a House Sparrow in the garden (more of a yard really). This weekend I moved to a new house some 200 metres from the old one, and the place is crawling with spadgers. This house actually has a garden (which borders on other gardens), and I'm hoping to beat 27 in 11 months, never mind 11 years!

Yeah! Three

68 : Sand martins

right through overhead, and a Treecreeper makes the morning's total 49.

Just need a different gull or two to pass to reach 50 for the day - unfortunately I'm off to work soon.

Im on 52 so far for the year including 2 additions this morning. First was a Jay, a new garden bird (14 years in the making despite living near some decent habitat). I sprinted 50 metres down the road to get it as I first saw it flying away from me but just managed to get home in time. Secondly Waxwing, for the second time this season but the last were in November last year.

Yeah! Three

68 : Sand martins

right through overhead, and a Treecreeper makes the morning's total 49.

Just need a different gull or two to pass to reach 50 for the day - unfortunately I'm off to work soon.

halftwo...I think you should go into competition with the RSPB!
I suspect your yield per hour/per sq.m. could give them a run for their money!

Come to think of it..turn it into the 'place to bird' offering a selection of teas cakes etc. and retire from your 'proper job'.

cheers

I feel slightly shamed by the list totals being quoted on here. I managed a paltry 27 in over a decade at my last house.

During that time I never saw a House Sparrow in the garden (more of a yard really). This weekend I moved to a new house some 200 metres from the old one, and the place is crawling with spadgers. This house actually has a garden (which borders on other gardens), and I'm hoping to beat 27 in 11 months, never mind 11 years!

Nick - I've been in that situation: used to live in town with a 'yard' a la Coronation St. I used to listen to a Starling doing impressions of Curlews and other impossibilities & dream.

Good luck with the new garden.

halftwo...I think you should go into competition with the RSPB!
I suspect your yield per hour/per sq.m. could give them a run for their money!

Come to think of it..turn it into the 'place to bird' offering a selection of teas cakes etc. and retire from your 'proper job'.

cheers

Hmm... there's a idea!

Got to say that 49 is one of the best days ever: pity the gulls decided not to commute today (with only Bh & Common visible). A combo of winter birds still present (Fieldfares, Redwings, Siskins, Lesser redpolls) and two summer visitors, plus some good ad hoc passage...and the fine weather. Still there's three hours nearly before midnight - a owl or two would be good.

Edit: 50 it is ! Tawny owl distant but persistant, calling away.
Also a flock of c30 birds went W-E high & fast in a shallow V, but silent. Waders maybe?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back