• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cleaning scope advice (1 Viewer)

hr21

Hi all,

I have noticed that at certain mags I can see a small spec in the eyepiece showing up in the image.

I think it might just be some dust between eyepiece and scope - is the best way to clean it just to unscrew, blower and if needed a zeiss wipe?

I don't want to do it unless I'm going to get it right, so any advice on this one?

Thanks!

If you see the 'particles' only and always at same focal lenght, it could be inside the zoom ocular. In my Zeiss DiaScope I can see some tiny black 'things' at the same place in the field, but only at 20x, they vanish at 23x and came never back until 75x. Perhaps there is dust or other particles on the glass just behind the prism housing, try to blow it away with a mechanical pump from the photoservice, but do not use 'air in a can'. Sharp seen speckles must sit near the focal plane, if so contact the service.
Try to screw out the eyepiece (if it's an opticron), let the things stay sharp - if they turn if you turn slowly the eyepiece, they are in (or at) the eyepiece (the field lens).

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back