• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Local Terrapin NE.London? (1 Viewer)

KenM

Don't know if there's enough on this image for an attempt at ID?

Found last week in a small Epping Forest Pond.

Cheers

Attachments

• P1970156.jpeg   Terrapin 1..jpeg
    P1970156.jpeg Terrapin 1..jpeg
    94.6 KB · Views: 52
Terror-pin, the best name I've heard for this alíen.
And yes, seems to be one of the Graptemys kohnii/pseudogeographica complex (in "old" individuals, the saw-back gets less and less)

Last edited:
I hadn't realised we had more than one, released, nuisance species in the UK.

I assume they're culled when the opportunity arises?

They’re found everywhere in North America as well, way outside their native range in the SE US. I don’t know that the introduced populations do much harm, however.

They’re found everywhere in North America as well, way outside their native range in the SE US. I don’t know that the introduced populations do much harm, however.

I don't know how big this species get but my mate was a park ranger where some Red-eared had been let loose and the amount of one legged ducks was incredible. The bigger ones will also take ducklings.

Not a red-eared slider, but there is a number of Trachemys/Graptemys/whatever water turtles which are currently sold and released in place of the banned red-eater slider. If any consolation, they can eat much of small pond fauna, but cannot breed in British climate.

Reported a couple of them to the EA conservation department back in the 1990s. Watched them predating Great Crested Grebe and Moorhen nests on part of the River Thames near Old Windsor, and then basking on the structures when depleted. Apparently red eared slider / terrapin is in the top 100 of the world's most invasive species.

You probably have predators better able to deal with them than we do.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back