• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any swifts spotted in Stafford recently? (1 Viewer)

kelleth

Hi, we need to find swifts that a rehabilitated swift can migrate with. His own community has left and we are trying to any more that are still around the Stafford area.

Unlikely (see this thread) -

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=3259074 - birds may pass through, but breeding still unlikely.

On a positive note, it shouldn't be necessary to release it with other swifts - the migratory urge should be inbuilt, and it will come across it's own kind in time. It should be able to feed and will also interact with eg Swallows at suitable sites too ... whether adult or juvenile.

Somewhere on here was a thread written by someone who raised and released a Swift they'd reared.

Welcome to Birdforum by the way.

Hi kelleth and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I've moved your post to a more suitable part of the forum, hopefully someone will have some information for you.

I also subscribed you to this thread so you can find it easily. You should get an e-mail notification when someone replies.

Good luck - please let us know how you get on.

Thanks both, they were nesting in my roof but left after the chick was grounded. A "foster cater" has reared it sine and now it's ready to take flight

Swift

Thanks both, they were nesting in my roof but left after the chick was grounded. A "foster cater" has reared it sine and now it's ready to take flight
You are lucky to get a pair of swifts in your roof As numbers have dropped in certain areas as where I live and now Our county Bird society is monitoring numbers of breeding birds and getting some People To Introduce special nest boxes for them on their homes, I,m pleased the Swift You mentioned is ok and finds Companions friends soon on his/her travels south with a Few swallows or martins for company.

Last edited:
I have only lived in the house for a year but I believe the same colony of swifts return to our street each year to nest. We have about 20 in the street in total.

The Swift.

I have only lived in the house for a year but I believe the same colony of swifts return to our street each year to nest. We have about 20 in the street in total.
Very nice Indeed, I knew a place in Leicestershire back in the 80,s which used to have swifts fly down screaming as They went down the street hopefully they might still when they are here, long May your swifts return each year they are wonderful birds to watch.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back