• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

'Bee-eater looking' bird (1 Viewer)

Michał Jaro

Hi . I found this photo from early april - very poor photo , but my only suggestion (beacause of shape, especially bill) is Bee- eater. I missed something ?

Attachments

• IMG_0280 (Copy).jpg
    IMG_0280 (Copy).jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0282 (Copy).jpg
    IMG_0282 (Copy).jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_0283 (Copy).jpg
    IMG_0283 (Copy).jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0284 (Copy).jpg
    IMG_0284 (Copy).jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 149
Does look like a songbird with some bill deformation to me. It's a genetic defect which is not too rare. Browsing the web there are quite a few examples, like this Starling. Is this a blooming Hazelnut it is perching on? This could be a size reference... My first thought was female Blackbird, but with this photo?

Michał Jaro;3723066 said:
Hi . I found this photo from early april - very poor photo , but my only suggestion (beacause of shape, especially bill) is Bee- eater. I missed something ?

It is definitively a songbird (probably a female Blackbird). There are no Bee-eaters in early April, they are among the "late migrants", and they have quite a different posture (flat head, somewhat hunched, beak longer than this), plus they are always very colorful.

Possibly Golden Oriole - Rounded Head, long body and short square tail

(in a popular tree!)

Last edited:
First of all, thank you for many comments and opinions !!
the colors in the picture do not seem to render any realism
the most intriguing was the bill for me - I have never seen blackbird with such a bill (4-th photo, long, thin !!).
but I understand - species variation :)
Thanks a lot

I could agree with this though isn't early April too early for the species?

A

I’m not sure Andy - the ones in East Anglia used to arrive early May (males a bit earlier than females). My Polish birding has all been done in Autumn but from BBs in Greece, Golden Orioles were already paired off and on site singing in the first week of May so if males arrive a few weeks earlier, perhaps not inconceivable for an early migrant individual?

average arrival date in the NE Poland according to this site 29/4

https://wildpoland.com/birds-of-ne-poland/

Last edited:
I’m not sure Andy - the ones in East Anglia used to arrive early May (males a bit earlier than females). My Polish birding has all been done in Autumn but from BBs in Greece, Golden Orioles were already paired off and on site singing in the first week of May so if males arrive a few weeks earlier, perhaps not inconceivable for an early migrant individual?

average arrival date in the NE Poland according to this site 29/4

https://wildpoland.com/birds-of-ne-poland/

Surely this would have to be a female though?

A

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back