• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Possible male Blue-winged Teal x Northern Shoveler Hybrid - Los Angeles, CA, USA (1 Viewer)

AlexC

Aves en Los Ángeles
Opus Editor
Hopefully more photos coming by email from a guy with a much better telephoto lens I met at Sepulveda Basin.

White crescent, huge honker, bright ORANGE feet seen (a bit visible in photos), intermediate plumage. What do you guys think?

EDITED: To add addition photo, and include date: Jan 12th, 2014

Attachments

• DSC04964_large.png
    DSC04964_large.png
    289 KB · Views: 151
  • DSC04974_large.png
    DSC04974_large.png
    285.1 KB · Views: 100
  • DSC04962_large.png
    DSC04962_large.png
    272.4 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Certainly looks like a good candidate to me, however, I am in no way an expert on hybrids

Niels

First-winter male shoveler in transitional first basic/first alternate plumage was my thought also. I saw several such birds at one of the local lakes today. Appearance varied considerably, though I didn't notice any face crescents.

Last edited:
According to Sibley they should be in breeding plumage in December. So it would be late but not extremely so.

I saw 5 similar shovllers yesterday with the pale cresent on their face. They alsohad bright orange legs and similar body plumage. They were all 1st winter male common shovllers. and I have little doubt the above bird is too. 1st year shoveeers can be very late comming into plumage and a few do not manage it until their second breeding season.

1st W Northern Shoveler. Looking at the size difference between the bird in question and the Green-winged Teal in #3 I think Australian Shoveler can be ruled out.

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back