• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Loch Garten Ospreys (1 Viewer)

EJ is doing some funny things I don't know whether she has just layed. She keeps going under her belly now

Attachments

• video29.jpg
    video29.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 175
Saphire said:
EJ is doing some funny things I don't know whether she has just layed. She keeps going under her belly now

At the moment,it looks like incubation has started as she has been sitting on the eyrie most of the day.Henry has been standing alongside looking like the "Monarch of the Pine" with his chest puffed out.This however,is only my opinion based on todays photos.Would be nice if we could have this confirmed/unconfirmed on the Wardens Diary but they are probably deciding what biscuits they can inform us on next week..!

I have seen EJ leave once today for about 10 min I didn't think they leave the nest at all if there was any eggs. I hope she is incubating.

Ben Nevis said:
At the moment,it looks like incubation has started as she has been sitting on the eyrie most of the day.Henry has been standing alongside looking like the "Monarch of the Pine" with his chest puffed out.This however,is only my opinion based on todays photos.Would be nice if we could have this confirmed/unconfirmed on the Wardens Diary but they are probably deciding what biscuits they can inform us on next week..!

I'm going down to the centre tomorrow, I'll see if I can find out. :)

Saphire said:
I have seen EJ leave once today for about 10 min I didn't think they leave the nest at all if there was any eggs. I hope she is incubating.
Assuming she is incubating.....whose eggs would they be, VS's or Henry's?

Saphire said:

Most birds of prey will leave the nest for a very short time especially on warmer (not necessarily hot) days.

Hi,

Bet if they are Orange's eggs Henry's instinct will tell him and they will get kicked out like last year. He is one male who can't be fooled. He and I want his genes passed on not somebody else's. Remember how he recovered last year we/they need strong genes to survive.

Anybody heard or seen any youngsters anywhere on their first journeys back?

Ann
Their Biggest Fan :-O :D :egghead:

Happy Easter

A CHAPLIN said:
Hi,

Bet if they are Orange's eggs Henry's instinct will tell him and they will get kicked out like last year. He is one male who can't be fooled. He and I want his genes passed on not somebody else's. Remember how he recovered last year we/they need strong genes to survive.

Anybody heard or seen any youngsters anywhere on their first journeys back?

Ann
Their Biggest Fan :-O :D :egghead:

Happy Easter
No reports of any youngsters yet....but then they usually arrive a bit later.

EJ is sitting very tight on the eyrie this morning again.Certainly looks like laying or incubation is taking place.

Sorry if this is a tad rushed I've just got back from the centre, what a great day. We arrived and checked the update board to find out that EJ has indeed layed an egg. At 0750 Henry had incubated the egg for approx 10 minutes. The anticipation in the centre grew around mid-day as henry returned with a fish and went to his perch to feed, at this point EJ was deafening with her food soliciting calls. At 1230 Henry arrived at the nest and EJ flew off for her lunch. At this point all eyes were on Henry, you could smell the tension in the air...would he lay down and incubate or would he roll the egg out of the nest. He must've known he had a captive audience because for 2 or 3 minutes he moved twigs and moss around and scared us a few times by raising his rear end as if to roll the egg out but finally our fella settled down and started incubating!!! I'm sure he must've heared the cheers and applause...it was fantastic. :D I returned a couple of hours later, Henry was on his perch eating again and EJ was back on the nest.

So good news folks, and a wonderful day.

Last edited:
wilmauk said:
Sorry if this is a tad rushed I've just got back from the centre, what a great day. We arrived and checked the update board to find out that EJ has indeed layed an egg. At 0750 henry had incubated the egg for approx 10 minutes. The anticipation in the centre grew around mid-day as henry returned with a fish and went to his perch to feed, at this point EJ was deafening with her food soliciting calls. At 1230 Henry arrived at the nest adn EJ flew off for her lunch. At this point all eyes were on Henry, you could smell the tension in the air...would he lay down and incubate or would he roll the egg out of the nest. He must've known he had a captive audience because for 2 or 3 minutes he moved twigs and moss around and scared us a few times by raising his rear end as if to roll the egg out but finally our fella settled down and started incubating!!! I'm sure he must've heared the cheers and applause...it was fantastic. :D I returned a couple of hours later, Henry was on his perch eating again and EJ was back on the nest.

So good news folks, and a wonderful day.

So maybe five days is an ok timespan to acept the eggs as yours. Thanks for a great report.

Great news wilmauk, thanks for the info :clap: . You will never be able to write the script for these birds, just when you think you have seen it all, they surprise you.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back