• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help Swarovski 10x50 EL inner dimensions? (1 Viewer)

PlanetMaker

Can anyone tell me what the inner dimensions are where you grab in between the bridge opening length?

Attachments

• 1447563651000_IMG_537309 copy.jpg
    1447563651000_IMG_537309 copy.jpg
    317.6 KB · Views: 23
Can anyone tell me what the inner dimensions are where you grab in between the bridge opening length?

PM,

My 35010 2nd gen. EL10X50SV measures 2 5\8" length between the hinges and 3\16" (min IPD) and 7\8" (max IPD) between the barrels.

Imagine the 35210 3rd gen. (Field Pro) should be very similar\same dimensions!

Ted

PM,

My 35010 2nd gen. EL10X50SV measures 2 5\8" length between the hinges and 3\16" (min IPD) and 7\8" (max IPD) between the barrels.

Ted

Wow! thanks for the quick info, building a mount for mine, getting it Friday!

Attachments

• Mount 1.JPG
    Mount 1.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 51
  • Mount 3.JPG
    Mount 3.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Complete Setup

Attachments

• DSC01169.JPG
    DSC01169.JPG
    236.9 KB · Views: 182
  • DSC01170.JPG
    DSC01170.JPG
    162.6 KB · Views: 193
  • DSC01171.JPG
    DSC01171.JPG
    173.7 KB · Views: 137
  • DSC01172.JPG
    DSC01172.JPG
    158.9 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Pileatus,

What is the model # for the Manfetto Tripod, and is that a mono pod attached to the counter weight. I am 6'3 and finding one for my height has been a bit of a challenge.

Regards,

Andy W.

Pileatus,

What is the model # for the Manfetto Tripod, and is that a mono pod attached to the counter weight. I am 6'3 and finding one for my height has been a bit of a challenge.

Regards,

Andy W.

Kleen Canteen 27 oz. bottle (filled with sand; drapery cord loop for attachment to monopod)

Manfrotto Monopod (MM294A4)

128RC head mounted on 3021BN tripod legs…accepts the 200PL quick release plate.
Manfrotto Super Clamp (2900/035/035RL) Note: I attached the 200PL quick release plate.
Manfrotto 322RC2 Grip Action Ball Head attached to monopod…accepts 200PL quick release plate.

Swarovision on home made mount with 200PL quick release plate.

PS
In the photos, the lower part of each tripod leg is NOT extended.

Last edited:
Pileatus,

Thank you for the valuable info. I like the sand idea, just add or subtract for different glass, instead of amassing counter weights. I am also hoping to set up my SLC in a parallelogram outfit so I can sit, or can set it up while standing with the tripod extended to eye level. The key for me is the tripod.
Thanks again.

Looks like tonight here on the east coast we will have clear sky's tonight.

Andy W.

The IP distance can't be adjusted once mounted on the tripod without unhooking so I'm planning on making one like this and made out of a steel pipe so I can also eliminate the blind nut by taping the pipe

The IP distance can't be adjusted once mounted on the tripod without unhooking so I'm planning on making one like this and made out of a steel pipe so I can also eliminate the blind nut by taping the pipe

With my setup the IPD can be adjusted simply by loosening the wingnut. It also allows for positioning forward/backward/sideways if you got the balance wrong the first time. The only point of failure is the quick release plate. I attach a short security strap to the bin/monopod for added insurance.

I considered the type you show but did not want to put that much pressure on one tube and it was more complex than mine. I used high friction mouse pads, red oak and a 5 inch stainless screw and wingnut.
Note: I do like the simplicity of the design you referenced and it may be an easier method than mine, especially if constructed without the blind nut.

Last edited:
With my setup the IPD can be adjusted simply by loosening the wingnut. It also allows for positioning forward/backward/sideways if you got the balance wrong the first time. The only point of failure is the quick release plate. I attach a short security strap to the bin/monopod for added insurance.

I considered the type you show but did not want to put that much pressure on one tube and it was more complex than mine. I used high friction mouse pads, red oak and a 5 inch stainless screw and wingnut.

Made me think about one tube carrying the weight, anyone use the one tube over a long term use would be great to hear from.

I enjoy your setup for ease of being straight forward and a quick build, also "security strap to the bin/monopod for added insurance."
Got a picture of the "security strap"?
Thanks
Dan

Pileatus,

Thank you for the valuable info. I like the sand idea, just add or subtract for different glass, instead of amassing counter weights. I am also hoping to set up my SLC in a parallelogram outfit so I can sit, or can set it up while standing with the tripod extended to eye level. The key for me is the tripod.
Thanks again.

Looks like tonight here on the east coast we will have clear sky's tonight.

Andy W.
The stainless bottle is on a short cord that I loop twice around the end of the monopod. This allows me to move the weighted bottle OR I can reach over and adjust the monopod length for balance. In my case, this perfectly works with a 20 ounce bin and a 35 ounce bin.

One more thing, as I move around the sky I often adjust the monopod leg nearest the bin to adjust for the correct viewing angle INSTEAD of completely repositioning my chair. I get a few extra degrees this way. The adjustability of the monopod is key to overall performance and comfort.

Once I find a target I make adjustments with the pistol grip and then reach over and tighten the tripod. With the 10X50 motionless a whole new sky is available for my viewing pleasure. Handheld it's nothing but a mess of dancing streaks.

Enjoy.

Last edited:
Made me think about one tube carrying the weight, anyone use the one tube over a long term use would be great to hear from.

I enjoy your setup for ease of being straight forward and a quick build, also "security strap to the bin/monopod for added insurance."
Got a picture of the "security strap"?
Thanks
Dan
I'll have to get a photo of the strap but it's just a simple connection.

The around the tube method really is nothing more than a mechanical set of fingers gripping the barrel. In my case, my 57mm IPD leaves very little room for a wraparound solution, however, it could surely be done with the right materials. My method was simple, foolproof and easy to make. It's also adjustable across the entire IPD range.
Note: It takes very little pressure to keep the bin in place and, as I've experienced, a loose wingnut only means the bin slips...it will not fall off due to the center screw (which is taped to avoid scratches.)

Last edited:
Note: In the setup shown in post #5 there's a stainless water bottle filled with sand. I DO NOT take this when traveling by air. Instead, I purchase a 32 ounce bottle of gatorade and attach a cord (carried in luggage) to it.

Last edited:
The stainless bottle is on a short cord that I loop twice around the end of the monopod. This allows me to move the weighted bottle OR I can reach over and adjust the monopod length for balance. In my case, this perfectly works with a 20 ounce bin and a 35 ounce bin.

One more thing, as I move around the sky I often adjust the monopod leg nearest the bin to adjust for the correct viewing angle INSTEAD of completely repositioning my chair. I get a few extra degrees this way. The adjustibility of the monopod is key to the overall perfomance and comfort.

Once I find a target I make adjustments with the pistol grip and then reach over and tighten the tripod. With the 10X50 motionless a whole new sky is available for my viewing pleasure. Handheld it's nothing but a mess of dancing streaks.

Enjoy.

That's so true and exciting "With the 10X50 motionless a whole new sky is available for my viewing pleasure"
Thanks for sharing your experience with the 10x50, get mine this Friday :bounce:
Should have my mount ready by Friday also, here's a "close to done" mount in progress Schedule 40 2x4" galvanized pipe cut 4x including 1 1/2" slot for hold down strap, 1/4-20 drilled and taped, padding and finishing to follow.

Attachments

• IMG_1925.jpg
    IMG_1925.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1930.jpg
    IMG_1930.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1931.jpg
    IMG_1931.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1936.jpg
    IMG_1936.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 34
That's so true and exciting "With the 10X50 motionless a whole new sky is available for my viewing pleasure"
Thanks for sharing your experience with the 10x50, get mine this Friday :bounce:
Should have my mount ready by Friday also, here's a "close to done" mount in progress Schedule 40 2x4" galvanized pipe cut 4x including 1 1/2" slot for hold down strap, 1/4-20 drilled and taped, padding and finishing to follow.
How do plan on protecting that screw head? Looks solid!!

How do plan on protecting that screw head? Looks solid!!

When I put a lock washer between the arca swiss and cradle, (pipe part) plus the thickness of one sided velcro on the belly to the top of the arch of the outside of the cradle, along with the lock washer flush with the velcro causes the 1/4-20 to go flush in the cradle along with some lock tight ready to be padded over
Thanks!

PM,

Ted

Also, what is the approximate width of the tube between the bridge?

Also, what is the approximate width of the tube between the bridge?

Dan,

Each tube is 2 1\8"" diameter at the inside of the ocular bridge, 2 1\4" between the bridges and 2 3\8" diameter at the inside of the objective bridge (according to my digital calipers...not my eyes). ;)

Again, this is for My 35010 2nd gen ELSV...I recommend to verify these findings with Your 35210 EL Field Pro on Friday, as the new FP armor has been also changed (thicker\thinner?)!! :t:

Ted

Last edited:
Dan,

Each tube is 2 1\8"" diameter at the inside of the ocular bridge, 2 1\4" between the bridges and 2 3\8" diameter at the inside of the objective bridge (according to my digital calipers...not my eyes). ;)
Again, this is for My 35010 2nd gen ELSV...I recommend to verify these findings with Your 35210 EL Field Pro on Friday!! :t:

Ted

Thanks, will let you know what the dimension of the latest one this weekend
Dan

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back