• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ibis ID help - Villahermosa, Tabasco, Mexico (1 Viewer)

martin.m

United Kingdom
Dear all, just joined the forum and thought I might ask for help regarding my old photo of ibis I just stumbled upon and find it a bit puzzling. It is from Villahermosa, Mexico (19 August 2018):

There was this all-brown, red-billed, red-faced ibis sitting among the White ibises. I was wondering whether it may be a juvenile of the same species, but all pictures I've seen so far show that these should have white belly and some white elsewhere on the body as well. Any ideas what this might be? Many thanks for help!

Attachments

• P8190071 (1).JPG
    P8190071 (1).JPG
    1,001.5 KB · Views: 75
Welcome to birdforum Martin.
I've limited experience with White ibis, but from what can be seen of the bare parts, the intensity of the colour would suggest an adult rather than immature bird. As you say, it appear concolourous, with the belly also dark.
I wonder if it may be either an melanistic or possibly oiled adult?

Thanks, Daniel! Good point about the skin colour intensity. It certainly looked just like the other White ibis adults around, in every aspect other than the plumage colour :) Melanism was also a thing that crossed my mind - sounds feasible now. As does the oil, actually, given that oil spills are a major issue in the area's wetlands. Thanks!

Can't see this as oil.....surely if a white bird is oiled enough to be turned completely black the feathers would be in a dire state - assume the bird flew into the tree it's on?

Can't see this as oil.....surely if a white bird is oiled enough to be turned completely black the feathers would be in a dire state - assume the bird flew into the tree it's on?

Fair point. Yes, it was high up the tree, so I suppose it arrived with the others to roost for the night.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back