• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sterling delights (1 Viewer)

Euan Buchan

The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
Supporter
Scotland
To my amazement Last night I looked out the window and saw thousands of Sterlings. Watching them was breathtaking and seeing a youing Sterling was nice. I watched them flyn to my tree till They all flew away:D :D :D :D :D :D :flyaway:

Nice one! I've got then squabbling on my bird table right now. It's great fun watching how the juvs learn to ballance on the feeders.

Dave Carr

Billy Idol is my Oddie!

Early last aturday morning we stopped at Sedgemoor services on the M5 (going to Eden Project for the day, 550 mile round trip), and the parents were teaching the youngsters how to beg for food in the carpark.

There was a large flock running from one side of the carpark to the other looking for scraps. AM chucked some bread crumbs towards them, and they flew up to catch the bread in their beaks before it hit the ground. Throw up three bits of bread, and three youngsters would rise from the ground to catch it before it fell to earth.

Hadn't seen that before.

So long as you don't spell it 'vulture', I'm sure that very few care. Everyone knew what you meant which is the main thing.

I've had around 12-16 young starlings at my bird table over the past four weeks. At first they came in ones and twos with Mum and Dad, being fed a lot of the time, but gradually becoming more independent. When they could make it to the bird table on their own I was surprised how assertive/aggressive they were, particularly to the adult birds, who always gave way when challenged by the fledglings. Certainly no element of respect shown towards their seniors. Now the youngsters appear quite independently in their own juvenile flock, so I often have around a dozen juveniles with no adults in sight, all squabbling like mad over the bird table and the bird bath. I wonder whether they have now cut all ties with the adult birds - do they roost together?

Alan Hill

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back