• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Faulty Goods (1 Viewer)

I know when my D90 needed repairs after 4 and 1/2 months, the store wouldn't replace it because it was older than 3 months so I had to send it on to Nikon for repair.

One for trading standards, I imagine that the supplier by offering a repair covers it's self under the sales of goods act. I think you have to call your local trading standards officer and get the correct answer

Last edited:
This doesn't directly answer your question (or maybe it does), but you might find this information useful.

There's a few links on the site as well, including to The Sale of Goods Act.

I have this morning returned my gear to Nikon UK for them to solve the problem, but will reject both the camera and lens and demand a replacement for both items if they fail to work properly when i get them back. The lens is only 8 months old and the camera 7.

Ian again check with your local trading standards officer, I think you're very unlucky if you have 2 faulty items. I would hope that the trading standards should be able to offer the words that should be used in these circumstances. Whilst its not in the same league I had a problem with a purchase from PC World after 13 months (with a 1yr gaurantee) and used extracts from the sales of goods act to recover my money. It helps if you do your homework before declining or rejecting anything

Hi Steve,

I contacted Trading Standards South East this afternoon they have told me as soon as i get the independant report from Nikon to contact them again. And if it is the camera that is faulty i am entitled to a replacement and like wise the lens.

I will keep you updated.

Thanks

Ian

The Sales Manager at Warehouse Express told me by e mail yesterday that you are only entitled to an exchange if an item is faulty within 28 days of purchase.
They then direct you to their companies terms and conditions.

The Trading Standards are going to contact them and tell them that they cannot do this they also told me to send a letter to W E and tell them that if the camera is faulty i will be insisiting on it being exchanged for a new camera.

Ian

The Sales Manager at Warehouse Express told me by e mail yesterday that you are only entitled to an exchange if an item is faulty within 28 days of purchase.
They then direct you to their companies terms and conditions.

The Trading Standards are going to contact them and tell them that they cannot do this they also told me to send a letter to W E and tell them that if the camera is faulty i will be insisiting on it being exchanged for a new camera.

Ian

I work in retail and no company can refuse to give you a refund or replacement (whichever you choose) within a "reasonable time" against goods which are clearly faulty so long as you have proof of purchase. Most companies give a 12 month warranty. Some try and put the onus on buyer to get in touch with the manufacturer. In law the contract is between the buyer and the retailer, if they fail under this contract you can take them to the small claims court. It is good to see that trading standards are contacting the company involved. Hopefully the matter will be resolved quickly.

CB

As Steve says it is worth taking advice. You have not indicated what is wrong with the goods. As far as I am aware , if goods are 'not fit for purpose' then within a reasonable period of time you are entitled to claim 'total breach of contract' and thus get your money back. It is best to get advice from Trading Standards or CAB.

I imagine most people buying camera equipment will have proof of purchase. However when going to court your evidence that you purchased an item from a retailer will often be accepted buy a court and having a witness will strengthen your position.

Thanks for the further info, the cameras shutter release and af/on buttons do not work. I have asked Nikon U K not to repair the camera if it is faulty as i will be insisting on a replacement from Warehouse Express.

Thanks again

Ian

Warehouse Express have told me today that they are not interested in what the Trading Standards Office people say they are sticking to their terms and conditions which state if an item is faulty within 28 days you are entitled to ypur money back a replacement or a credit.

Ian

Hi Steve,

I purchased a brand new D300 from them in August 2009 and have been having problems with it, i was informed by Trading Standards that i should ask the above company for an exchange.

They refused point blank saying that their terms and conditions state you can have either a refund or a replacement if an item is found to be faulty within 28 days of purchase.

To be honest after purchase I'd deal directly with the Mfr (or Nikon UK Ltd) anyway - it'll save quite a lot of postage time apart from anything.

Hi Ian
Speak to your local trading standards and they should advise you how to draft a letter and what content to put in it. When W/E realise you know your rights and will exercise the law to get them, you may find they back down.
Their terms and conditions may bully some people but the law is the law.
Good luck either way,
Ian

I wouldn't let that put you off, follow trading standards advice, it may also be worth pressing Nikon, after all its there reputation at stake.
As a matter of interest I assume you tried the 400 lens on another body and the D300 body on another lens? Never worked out why you thought both were faulty.

Hi Steve,

I purchased a brand new D300 from them in August 2009 and have been having problems with it, i was informed by Trading Standards that i should ask the above company for an exchange.

They refused point blank saying that their terms and conditions state you can have either a refund or a replacement if an item is found to be faulty within 28 days of purchase.

So what precisely are they offering you? If you've only just purchased an item they (probably Nikon, ultimately) can replace a faulty component and sell it on as an 'A'-quality item or whatever they call them so long as they're otherwise in pristine condition. As your camera is several months old it could easily have taken many thousands of shots, picked up various scuff-marks, got dust into all sorts of little corners, etc., and in this case they may offer to repair it or just replace the faulty component free of charge rather than replace the full item.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back