• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pond Minibeast (1 Viewer)

Sleeper

I have recently added a small (6'x5') pond to the garden.

I have been intrigued to find a few minibeasts arrive some of which I have been able to ID

including a rat tailed maggot.

One which i cannot find a reference to is a small (2mm) dark coloured critter which moves around along the edges and surface of the pond. it moves in a S squiggle movement which happens when you touch the waters surface.

Could anybody provide any info or maybe recommend a book which contains good pond info relating to creatures contained in a pond.

Thanks in advance.

Old but still useful.

Sleeper said:
I have recently added a small (6'x5') pond to the garden.

I have been intrigued to find a few minibeasts arrive some of which I have been able to ID

including a rat tailed maggot.

One which i cannot find a reference to is a small (2mm) dark coloured critter which moves around along the edges and surface of the pond. it moves in a S squiggle movement which happens when you touch the waters surface.

Could anybody provide any info or maybe recommend a book which contains good pond info relating to creatures contained in a pond.

Thanks in advance.
Stepen, one that i used to have when we had a pond and found informative was the observers book of pond life. There will be loads more up to date one's no doubt, but a good starter.
bert.

Thanks Bert

I will be looking through many a book at the BBWF and so I will keep my eye open for this one. Thanks again.

Just a remark: An adult beetle can´t grow any more; and the larvae which are the growing stage, do look extremly different from an adult beetle (not only in whirligig beetles, but in all of them- that´s different in bugs (Heteroptera)).

To Identify your minibeast more infos would be usefull: under water or on the water surface? does it have a tail? How big exactly?

Other possibilities would be for example a moskito pupa; or a water mite? but for a safe id more info is nessecary

Jörn

Stephen,

No problem! Although the site seems to deal with North American stuff, it is very interesting, and the pic of the Whirlygig beetle is pretty good.

Jörn - I obviously agree with what you said. Although from the description Stephen gave it so has to be a Whirlygig beetle - on the surface making 's shape' movements and all. They are very common too. I guess really the only definite way is a picture (and then I guess that isn't always clear-cut').

Rich.

I want a pond but my parents dislike the idea I don't know why they don't want one its very important for wildlife.

Thanks for all the info

I think that Jorn is nearest as regards fly larvae.

They are about 5-7mm long have tubes that they use to put against the surface of the water. There are thousands of them which all dissapear when I go near(but I am trying not to take it personal) They seem to hang in this position for quite a time.

I have to say i have been amazed at the extra bit of something which the pond gives the garden. I tried in vain for numerous years to offer an attractive bird bath in all shapes size and in various places in the garden but it never really happened.

I am really pleased as the amount of birds which have used the pond to bathe and drink is staggering. the first bird I have seen using the pond was a siskin and from there on in it always seems to be used by numerous birds. the Starling young use it all day to bathe in so I do agree with people that say a wildlife garden is not quite right without a pond.

PS It's getting dark enough now Euan!!! PPS if it says ACME on the packet beware!!

Yep, that´s sounds like it
-these are clearly moskito larvae; if something comes near them from the surface they go into deeper water with a squiggly movement, as you describe; also the breathing tube at the rear end is characteristic.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back