• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What's with this weather? (1 Viewer)

Floyd Barnes

United Kingdom
I'd been looking forward to getting a few good days birding in over the christmas holidays, but every day it's been so dull & murky? If it's hasn't been blowing a gale we've had heavy rain!
Been out most days, but steamed up optics, and pockets full of water ain't much fun.
Bring on 2012!

I'd been looking forward to getting a few good days birding in over the christmas holidays, but every day it's been so dull & murky? If it's hasn't been blowing a gale we've had heavy rain!
Been out most days, but steamed up optics, and pockets full of water ain't much fun.
Bring on 2012!
I know, Its rubbish for photography as well, although the birding on my local patch has been above average.
I saw snowdrops, apples and bulb shoots today though!

Indeed it's been dull and murky here with torrential rain too. Couldn't believe it when the sun came out to play yesterday!

Oops, wrong end of the world...;)

This is our 4th summer here in Northland NZ and this is by far the worst. Very few sunny days. Today is warm but damp. I've heard El Nino (hope thats right) is to blame?

Here we are getting unusually warm weather here 7'c on Thursday when it
should be in the -20s.The warm weather has persisted all winter!:t:

I woke up the other day to what sounded like a train going over the house, nah it was only the wind which was recorded at 102mph in Edinburgh that morning:eek!:

I stayed in that day:-O

This is our 4th summer here in Northland NZ and this is by far the worst. Very few sunny days. Today is warm but damp. I've heard El Nino (hope thats right) is to blame?

Have you checked the status of the polar icecaps lately....? El Nino's and Nina's are a thing of the past. Now we are in a new stage and no one has figured it out yet for it is still in the process.

Good Morning all,
we are having a wee bit of a blow here in Germany, 120kmh winds, hail snow sleet and rain.
Its bin day so the yellow sacks have been blown all over the road, and I'm just in from gathering them up. I should get myself a Collie ;)
But on a Scottish scale, its just a wee gale.

Andy

Saw a Blackbird gathering nest material at Martin Mere today, obviously thinks it must be Spring. Whooper Swan numbers seem to be well down for January; something like 1,470 on the reserve. And where were all the birds at Titchwell on Monday, hardly any of the waders you'd expect to see at this time of year.

3 Blue Tits and 2 Great Tits were having a proper barney over one of my nest boxes this morning. Both checking it out so at least it reminded me to clean it out!

Saw a Blackbird gathering nest material at Martin Mere today, obviously thinks it must be Spring. Whooper Swan numbers seem to be well down for January; something like 1,470 on the reserve. And where were all the birds at Titchwell on Monday, hardly any of the waders you'd expect to see at this time of year.

There are lots more Whoopers than would be expected elsewhere in Lancs, Pilling for example.

Regarding the original post give me this winter over the last two by a country mile.

Stephen

There are lots more Whoopers than would be expected elsewhere in Lancs, Pilling for example.

Regarding the original post give me this winter over the last two by a country mile.

Stephen

You're jesting me Stephen. Mud, rain, wind and grey, grey dullness. Or blue-skies, sunshine, good-visibility and being firm underfoot. No contest.:eek!:

And sustained sub zero temperatures that did for almost all the local Kingfishers and Stonechats?

Not a joking matter really.

Stephen

[Edit - I don't think there are any local breeding Stonechats now, the odd migrant appears but basically they are extinct on the Fylde as far as I know as a breeding bird]

Last edited:

The sort of weather that we have been having in these islands was forcast back in the 1970s as effects of global warming. Now we've got them.

Allen

P.S. Cheerful bugler, aren't I?

Mind you, I read somewhere the other day that the temperatures for December were fairly average- it's just the perception is that it's unseasonably mild due to the past two winters. 2011 was one of the warmest years on record but that was apparently mainly due to the unusually warm spell last Spring and the Indian Summer in October.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back