• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your Most Recent "Life" Bird (4 Viewers)

Mine most recent was yesterday when I had 2 lifers.. Iccterine Warbler and Citrine Wagtail.....Was dissapointed when a Greenish Warbler was showing and not the Iccterine......Had only just had Greenish last Monday as a life bird, but Iccterine had been a "bogey Bird " of mine.... :-O

Out for a week in Lithuania with Jos bagged me three (4 if you include Northern Long tailed Tit)

Black Woodpecker
Nutcracker
Lesser Spotted Eagle

Latest lifer would be the White-breasted Nuthatch found yesterday making it my 48th yard bird for the year and a lifer as well.

Last edited:
KCFoggin said:
Latest lifer would be the White-breasted Nuthatch found yesterday making it my 48th yard bird for the year and a lifer as well.

After birding for a while how many of us can say that we had a lifer in our garden. Not many I suspect.

Congrats KC on this new find.

I got three shore birds with some local experts locating them. I have notes somewhere. I think the last one was American Golden Plover, which I saw earlier in the spring but could not be 100% sure that time. This one I spotted out of a group with just binoculars, and other people got a good look with scopes at the same time. I never did get to a scope, but it was pretty obvious.

My scope was home, as they changed the day's area to visit at the last mimute.

A self found Wryneck (Jynx torquilla) on my local (to work) patch about 2 hours ago!
Still buzzing about it - no chance of getting anything meaningful done this afternoon!

KCFoggin said:
That would be quite exciting to get a "lifer" in one's own yard! I have never gotten a "lifer" in our yard.

I have had a number of *one timer yard birds, though. Some which come to mind are Northern Bobwhite, Wild Turkey, Red-headed Woodpecker, Brown-headed Cowbird, Eastern Phoebe, Olive-sided Flycatcher, White-winged Dove, Prothonotary Warbler, Eastern Kingbird and (perhaps the most unusual for our yard) an American Woodcock.

We have lived in our present location for about 30 years.

* one timer = a species of bird which I have observed only once in our yard.

I had a few, maybe 3, warblers from my yard. I think one was a Tennessee Warbler. I played the song off my computer, with the door open, and the real bird responded.

Lifers in my yard would have included Brown Creeper, Indigo Bunting, White-Crowned Sparrow, and Fox Sparrow. I didn't count them on my life list because I had seen them a few years before I even knew what a life list was but have since been able to add them to my list anyway.

Just yesterday had another "lifer" -- two Vaux's Swifts on Burro Creek in western Arizona. I've seen lots of the White-throated species in southern California, so it was a real treat to see the difference and watch how they worked the cliffs above the creek.

Katy Penland said:
Just yesterday had another "lifer" -- two Vaux's Swifts on Burro Creek in western Arizona. I've seen lots of the White-throated species in southern California, so it was a real treat to see the difference and watch how they worked the cliffs above the creek.

I thought I read somewhere that you didn't keep a list, Katy :stuck:

Barn Owl (!!!) and Hobby the other day at blacktoft. 2 more towards my target of 150 in my first year. I'm now on 146 - not high, but i've only been doing this for less than 9 months, so i'm pretty pleased.

SimonC said:
A self found Wryneck (Jynx torquilla) on my local (to work) patch about 2 hours ago!
Still buzzing about it - no chance of getting anything meaningful done this afternoon!
Congratulations, Simon. Very nice! I bet that'll make a few people here jealous (including me!) ;)

Grousemore said:
I thought I read somewhere that you didn't keep a list, Katy :stuck:
LOL, Trevor, I don't keep a life list, never have. Don't have a clue how many birds I've seen around the world over the years and don't care. But I still always know when I'm seeing a new species for the first time, and I keep track of species I see on trips (primarily for letting others know what's available where, and directions to get there). Oh, and the yard log, which is also just for documenting species that are seen at this elevation in this part of the state.

So there. Thought you had me, huh? :bounce:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back