• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

rostral issue on Brown Shrike? KL, Malaysia (1 Viewer)

AntarcticanShrike

What's This?
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, couple days ago.

I've seen this individual around, and decided to attempt a substantial closeup to no avail (trying to take photos with a lousy d3400 sensor is like eating rice with chopsticks); however, I noticed the unusual overlapping tomia. Doesn't normal like it but I don't think I'm experienced enough to say anything... So what's this?

Attachments

• beak prob 1.JPG
    beak prob 1.JPG
    13.4 KB · Views: 24
  • beak prob 2.JPG
    beak prob 2.JPG
    10.3 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, couple days ago.

I've seen this individual around, and decided to attempt a substantial closeup to no avail (trying to take photos with a lousy d3400 sensor is like eating rice with chopsticks); however, I noticed the unusual overlapping tomia. Doesn't normal like it but I don't think I'm experienced enough to say anything... So what's this?

CORRECTION: From other pictures, it seems the tomium of the mandibular rostrum is penetrating through the tomium of the maxillary rostrum?

Last edited:
Hi, have you mirrored/inverted any of the 2 photos in the OP post? Or are they actually showing the left and right sides of the head respectively?

Presumably something like this in a group of finches led to the evolution of crossbills - the mutation not always harmful.

My question above comes from the fact the bill looks perfectly normal, no mandibles crossed whatsoever to my eyes (both sides in view). It looks to me like a thin bit of debris is stuck to the culmen in a funny way (perhaps dried meat from an earlier meal? or a bit of an insect gut? remember these birds are the butchers of the passerine world, so their bills do get messy). I really can't see this as the lower mandible piercing the upper, as there would be further evidences of such a traumatic event around the place the "thingy" is sticking out.

My question above comes from the fact the bill looks perfectly normal, no mandibles crossed whatsoever to my eyes (both sides in view). It looks to me like a thin bit of debris is stuck to the culmen in a funny way (perhaps dried meat from an earlier meal? or a bit of an insect gut? remember these birds are the butchers of the passerine world, so their bills do get messy). I really can't see this as the lower mandible piercing the upper, as there would be further evidences of such a traumatic event around the place the "thingy" is sticking out.

No. The mandibular rostrum is penetrating the maxillary rostrum.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back