• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (5 Viewers)

Spring has really arrived here and bird numbers are down in our yards.

The most numerous visitors are House Finches, of which we have 7-8. There are usually several White-winged Doves around and two are building a nest in our mulberry tree. It's a typically flimsy dove nest - a few twigs crisscrossed in the fork where a branch grows out from the trunk. We had a solitary Mourning Dove yesterday, too; we don't see them much since White-winged Doves moved into our area. Blue Jays, Downy Woodpeckers and Red-bellied Woodpeckers pop in now and then. Common Grackles are coming to feed in the yard behind ours.

Male Northern Mockingbirds are singing up and down the street, hoping for mates, and a Carolina Wren sings quite ofte as it patrols its territory in the morning.

I thought the only winter residents left were a couple of Yellow-rumped Warblers but yesterday a single Chipping Sparrow appeared and my wife heard Cedar Waxwings. I assume the Warblers and Sparrows will leave soon, while the Waxwings will hang around in smaller numbers until as late as May.

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

Just reading Zebs' post, and realised I haven't listed what we have coming to the garden in full, soooooooooo :

Blue Tits (up to 4 at a time)
Great Tits (4)
Coal Tits (2)
Long Tailed Tits (8)
Siskins (8)
Chaffinches (5)
Goldfinches (4)
Bullfinches (5)
House Sparrows (20)
Dunnocks (2)
Robin (2)
Brambling (1)
Mistle and Song Thrush (1 each)
Starlings (5)
Blackbirds (2)
Greenfinches (4)

Sure there's more, thought the count was higher than that, will update when the memory improves |:p|

Woodpigeons and Magpies, gradually getting there ! Solitary sightings of a sparrowhawk and goldcrest complete the list so far.

Last edited:
14 greenfinches this morning,along with 10 golfinches,pheasant(comes early morning and late evening now)blackbirds,chaffinches,sparrows,collared doves,grey and misty here, very miserable.

Hi everyone, thought I would join this thread as Im going to get a feeder set up in my back garden. Due to a house move we now have a garden instead of a concrete box. Also work makes it difficult to get out much, so thought this is the next best thing to seeing whats around here.

Hi everyone, thought I would join this thread as Im going to get a feeder set up in my back garden. Due to a house move we now have a garden instead of a concrete box. Also work makes it difficult to get out much, so thought this is the next best thing to seeing whats around here.

welcome aboard colin,look forward to your updates :t:

Have noticed a big increase in Goldfinches coming and the food is going a lot quicker this week than last week. The Nyjer seed hardly moved for weeks and already half gone this week.

The Blue Tits and Great Tits all buzzing around.

dunnocks now into their 4th day of mating like mad and blue tits collecting every spiders web they see, looks like they're starting nesting.

welcome to the thread colin

Finally had a Female Chaffinch and now 2 Males, Gold finches up to 9, Just had a pair of Reed Buntings on the ground feeding, but gone now, flying visit ( sorry about that) 16 different species up to now.

Have noticed a big increase in Goldfinches coming and the food is going a lot quicker this week than last week. The Nyjer seed hardly moved for weeks and already half gone this week.

The Blue Tits and Great Tits all buzzing around.

My sunflower hearts are gone in 2 days tops, and the nyjer last a maximum of 5 !

Main culprits are my gang of siskins.

I think my Resident Black bird is either queer or just plain greedy, Female came today and was chased away, not seen her any more up to now

I think my Resident Black bird is either queer or just plain greedy, Female came today and was chased away, not seen her any more up to now

Most likely he's greedy and feeding himself up ready for the breeding season activity. Some first winter males look very much like females, so it could have been a youngster he was chasing off.

CB

Had a visit from a wren yesterday. I suspect that I looked at the right time.
Lots of goldfinches and chaffinches, a few sparrows and the dunnocks are still resident, it seems. I don't see the robins much but I hear them a lot. My husband was digging the other day and one of the robins was impatient for him to go so it could get at the worms.
We have 3 blue tits but haven't seen a coal or great tit for a few days. The blackbirds are very busy chasing each other round the garden. I haven't seen the pied wagtail for a couple of days. Could he be finally off to find a mate?:t:

Reed Buntings are back Male and Female, visible and feeding on ground. along with the rest, Numbers are growing daily

My sunflower hearts are gone in 2 days tops, and the nyjer last a maximum of 5 !

Main culprits are my gang of siskins.

same here . Nothing much for last few weeks but this week everything has been busy scoffing as much as they can.:eek!:

Our 4x goldfinch have now increased to 5 and this morning I saw the GS Woodpecker back after a 2 month abscence. Siskins are back and its good to see the blackcap around most of the day. He eats like its his last meal :-O

We had to abandon our hearts feeder as the squirrels ruined it. looking for a good squirl-proof one to replace it.

Hows this for a garden flyover ? A cormorant... and we are 50 miles inland ?

Attachments

• unidentified 04-03-2011 17-20-37 3648x2736.JPG
    unidentified 04-03-2011 17-20-37 3648x2736.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Getting 20 + goldies and about 12 sparrows, the Blue/Great/Willow tits have been in the garden constant today and the feed is flying down.The blue tits have been checking the boxes for weeks but the same thing happened last year but no takers.
We've had plenty of chaffies too along with the dunnocks and the bloody collar doves.
Not so many blackbirds as a few weeks ago, wonder if they're on the move.

Users who are viewing this thread

• KenM
Back