• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are you going to the birdfair? (1 Viewer)

Stonechat2

Tooty Fruity Member
Hi all,

I'm just wondering whether any of you are going to the birdfair on Sunday 22nd. I am working on saturday and so am only able to go on sunday. Public transport is terrible getting there and if i go by public transport i won't arrive until 2:00 and it doesn't really give me enougth time. If anyone can take me i will share petrol costs and buy them a drink for taking me. If anyone is going on the sunday and is able to take me, please let me know. I would be really greatful.

Regards,
Steven.

Steven, good luck! Have you thought of going on the Saturday evening, and staying over somewhere - even though at this late stage it would be pretty hard to find a hotel close by - if not, take a tent ;)

Hi Helen,

I did think of going on the saturday and staying somewhere but i can't afford it :-(
I would camp out there, are there any campsites near to it, i mean within walking distance.

Steven

Stonechat2 said:
Hi Helen,

I did think of going on the saturday and staying somewhere but i can't afford it :-(
I would camp out there, are there any campsites near to it, i mean within walking distance.

Steven

Steven - how about asking this on the "sticky" thread about the Bird Fair?

Steven

I've just found this on the birdfair website:

Ranksborough Hall Caravan & Camping
Langham
Oakham
Rutland
LE15 7JR
Tel: 01572 722984
Fax: 01572 756722

Apparantly it's approx. 7kms from the birdfair, with transport links. Why not give them a call and see what they have to offer?

They may be able to point you in the right direction.

Thanks Helen,

I looked on the website3 for camp sites in egleton and didn't find any so i assumed there wern't any near by.
I'll give them a call.

Thanks,
Steven

Hi Steven,

The site at Langham is about 4 miles from the Birdfair, and there are (as far as I can find out) no buses on a Sunday. There is another site at Wing, which is anout 3 1/2 miles. The site at Lyndon is also 3 1/2 miles, on the South Shore of Rutland Water, but if you could get on it it is "easier" walking (no steep hills and some of it goes through the Lyndon Reserve, along the shore). I am still trying to hunt down a telephone number for you, but I am beginning to think it may be a "Club only" site.

The other problem you may have is the time your train gets into Oakham. Assuming it is late afternoon/early evening you may not be able to get transport from the station.

If you would like to send me a PM with the details of your train and your telephone number, I can call you with further info.

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back