• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone feels going back from Noctivid to the Ultravid HD...? (1 Viewer)

spiralcoil

Couple years now since the new Noctivid is out....

Wonder any one feels the need or like to give up the 8x42 Noctivid going back to use a 7x42 Ultravid HD or the Plus (the now world's only prime quality 7x on the market)? For the smaller lighter size, wider field, steadier handling, perhaps a bit brighter... ?

Good question, spiralcoil.
The switch from 8x42 to 7x42 is one thing, and I think I understand you when you say „... smaller lighter size, wider field, steadier handling, perhaps a bit brighter“.
But in addition to that, there is more, and that‘s of course only my own personal view:
As much as I like the fabulous optics of my 8x42 Noctivid, I think Leica lost a bit of its edge with the design (open hinge copied from Swaro and Zeiss, but too narrow to fit your fingers in) and the new focusing mechanism (without the typical „Leica click“ when you switch rotating direction) which I find slightly more „vague“.
I feel that Leica reached their perfection with the Ultravid HD+ series the same way Zeiss reached theirs with the Victory FL models. Of course later models (Noctivid, Victory SF) brought this or that improvement, but the total package is not really superior in my view.
Within the Ultravid HD and HD+ series, the 7x42 is perhaps one of the best (I have to say that I also very much like the 8x50, which is the only premium 8x50 on the market).

By the way: you write: „the only prime quality 7x on the market“ but I think you meant 7x42 (there are other 7x prime quality binos on the market, e.g. Nikon WX 7x50 or Zeiss 7x50 B/GA T, just to name two obvious ones).

Canip

Good question, spiralcoil.

... ...
By the way: you write: „the only prime quality 7x on the market“ but I think you meant 7x42 (there are other 7x prime quality binos on the market, e.g. Nikon WX 7x50 or Zeiss 7x50 B/GA T, just to name two obvious ones).

Canip

You are correct, I meant the 7x42 HD... Which was the one I used for a long time before the 8x42 Noctivid. And sometime still lamenting letting the 7x42HD changed to the 8x42 Noctivid.

However, will you going back from Noctivid to Ultravid?

I will NOT go back.

I agree that the 7x42 UVHD+ was a total package in just about every way (totally should of sold the 8x42’s instead). With the NVD though, I find no objection to the ergonomics or focus, and the NVD’s optics are unmatched by any other Leica.

So, while I don’t need to go back to the exceedingly satisfying UVHD+ 7x42, I would overwhelmingly welcome a NVD 7X42.

Attachments

• 2EC3A4A0-85DC-4CE2-B3CC-AAD67C639A9B.jpg
    2EC3A4A0-85DC-4CE2-B3CC-AAD67C639A9B.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 370
Last edited:

Wonder any one feels the need or like to give up the 8x42 Noctivid going back to use a 7x42 Ultravid HD or the Plus (the now world's only prime quality 7x on the market)? For the smaller lighter size, wider field, steadier handling, perhaps a bit brighter... ?

I would say that 7x and 8x bins are different enough to motivate owning both.
I did a similar "upgrade" to SV 8.5x42 from my 7x42 FL.
But I'm glad I kept the 7x42 FL. The smaller lighter size, wider field, steadier handling and a bit brighter is nice to have occasionally.

As good as the Noctivid is...I'm not gonna give up the UVHD+ 7X72. You stated the reason! 7X depth of field is really nice. 7X42 are user-friendly by nature! I honestly don't use the Noctivids that much!

The 7x42 UVHD is one of the finest bin's ever made... like looking through a huge, crystal clear picture window, bathing the eyes in light, delighting the soul. I'd not go to a Noctivid if I had the 7x42.

I have read these postings with interest, as I have the 8x42 HD (no plus), and have considered the change to the Noctivid. Not for this thread, but I need to also search the archives for the HD vs. HD+ differences.

I have read these postings with interest, as I have the 8x42 HD (no plus), and have considered the change to the Noctivid. Not for this thread, but I need to also search the archives for the HD vs. HD+ differences.

HD vs. HD+ is approx 2% more light transmission for the HD+ across the measured spectrum which are almost identical. Doubtful you'd ever notice it. The Noctivid adds about another 2% to that PLUS more FOV. But you do lose the Ultravids nice, handy ergonomics.

Attachments

• IMG_3860.jpg
    IMG_3860.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 877
HD vs. HD+ is approx 2% more light transmission for the HD+ across the measured spectrum which are almost identical. Doubtful you'd ever notice it. The Noctivid adds about another 2% to that PLUS more FOV. But you do lose the Ultravids nice, handy ergonomics.

Curious about the actual FOV on the 10x42. Leica lists it around 386’@1000 yards(,but often has print errors). I read a recent reputable review where the user indicated the FOV was closer to the typical 330’ of many 10x42 (like EL SV).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've only looked through a 10x42 Noctivid briefly. While I looked through a fellow birder's brand new Noctivid he asked to try my UVid+ 7x42. I thought his Noctivid had great focus (very smooth and precise) and I liked what I saw of the view. It felt nice too, but once we switched back and I had my bino back in my hands I noticed the weight difference and felt the fit of the Uvid for me was better. I was assured again that I have the right bino for me. It's difficult to think of parting with it or "upgrading" after getting used to the nice DOF and large EP of 7x42. Also, the view is so pretty.

As much as I like the fabulous optics of my 8x42 Noctivid, I think Leica lost a bit of its edge with the design (open hinge copied from Swaro and Zeiss, but too narrow to fit your fingers in)

Canip

Leica and Zeiss have been making open bridge designs for more than 100 years. Here's a nice 1917 Zeiss 10x50 in Franks collection. British Barr and Stroud and WWI standard field glasses type 08 which Leica and others churned out in large numbers.

Attachments

• 14523895146_687e924b39_b.jpg
    14523895146_687e924b39_b.jpg
    369.5 KB · Views: 88
  • 5149112797_c8a6b3fb5f_b.jpg
    5149112797_c8a6b3fb5f_b.jpg
    435.5 KB · Views: 81
  • s-l1600klpp.jpg
    s-l1600klpp.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 78
  • s-l1600gfhrg.jpg
    s-l1600gfhrg.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
No! It’s ironic timing for me to address this as I’m having to use range finding bins in Alaska so much I’m not using my NVD’s since of course they don’t give distance and angle. But no, I would not go back. The NVD’s stand atop anything Leica has produced in optical performance, industrial design and manufacturing quality control. The one caveat might be for someone who wears XS or S gloves. I take XL gloves, and the ergonomics are great.

Having spent the last week or so in Sportsman’s Warehouse in Alaska picking out an RF alpha binocular (I bought the new Zeiss for the combination of superior optics and electronics), I was reminded in the non-ranging optics case just how marvelous the NVD is among the alphas, particularly in the 8x NVD’s I bought from Eagle.

But more than that, I spent considerable time in Africa with trade show demos and one new version of the 7x42, 8X42, and 10x50 all in UVHD+ that I bought from Gr8ful Doug at NY Camera. The 8X had some focus slop and Doug swapped them out, the 2nd pair were great. The 10X worked fine but the feel of the wheel acted different focusing in close than it did focusing out far. No two UVHD+’s acted the same at the wheel, but all worked, and I had four (remember the old threads on all that, especially the slop?). Not so with the NVD. You can’t find the 8x NVD in Alaska, but the NVD 10’s are in most stores that you can find EL’s, and all the NVD’s act the same without slop at the wheel so far. . . “Focusing is about perfect.”

I’ve given considerable use to the three HD+, and while I was particularly pleased optically with the 7x and 10x in the UVHD+, wow, neither could stand optically to the NVD. Throw in industrial design and manufacturing QC, and the NVD stands even taller. They focus the same at -25 F Salcha, AK as they do at 103 F at midnight in the UAE.

I’m a little taken a back at the change in some users. One month extolling the praises of your NVD’s and now you’re not using them so much? Here’s hoping for an RF NVD.

. . . The more I use the Noctivids the more I like them. Focusing is about perfect. I know there have been some grumblngs concerning handling/design/etc. I am finding no such problems. Going between the UVHD+ to the NV can only be described as second nature. I don't even think about where/how to hold/finger placement/focusing/etc....it just happens, but I'll admit I'm pretty adaptable where binoculars are concerned. A lot has also been said about the weight of the NV. I thought to myself more than once that it felt lighter than the specs indicate. So I AGAIN weighed the NV- 31.5oz(with objective covers) AND the UVHD+ 27.5oz(with objective covers). So four ounces heavier...that's not much. The view...love it. The FOV seems larger than the specs indicate...seriously it does. It's at LEAST as nice as anything else I have. Summer tanagers sure are easy to spot! HAHA! ...but so are yellow breasted chats(you owe it to yourself to LISTEN to this birds SONG if you never have!), orchard orioles, prothonotary warblers, etc, etc.

Overall....I'd certainly re-buy!

“The eyecups are probably the best in the business. Focus adjustment is pretty much class leading as are objective covers and eye relief.”

L to R 10x and 8x UVHD+ Alabama, 7xUVHD+ Robben Island South Africa, 8x NVD’s Wasilla, AK, driving DarEsSalaam to Mbeya.

Attachments

• D3F99549-0131-4C46-99F9-1052FE5E8B18.jpeg
    D3F99549-0131-4C46-99F9-1052FE5E8B18.jpeg
    342.2 KB · Views: 352
  • 760F5CE2-C238-41BB-A176-F8C4DDF1FE25.jpeg
    760F5CE2-C238-41BB-A176-F8C4DDF1FE25.jpeg
    150.9 KB · Views: 241
  • 631B71BE-A5AD-4DE2-8ECE-285D1DA1FE4C.jpeg
    631B71BE-A5AD-4DE2-8ECE-285D1DA1FE4C.jpeg
    263.1 KB · Views: 181
  • 46333771-4DCE-433D-9620-92FBA76600BF.jpg
    46333771-4DCE-433D-9620-92FBA76600BF.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
Hello Dwever,
Thank you!! Very useful to me....
Best!
PHA

Thank you, and sorry I had not responded in the other thread yet to your question, but yes I agree, NVD veiling glare control is remarkable.

After dropping $3,599 for Zeiss Range Finding binoculars, I felt like I needed to sell the NVD’s just because of the money. I may not, they are just too pleasing.

Last edited:
No! It’s ironic timing for me to address this as I’m having to use range finding bins in Alaska so much I’m not using my NVD’s since of course they don’t give distance and angle. But no, I would not go back. The NVD’s stand atop anything Leica has produced in optical performance, industrial design and manufacturing quality control. The one caveat might be for someone who wears XS or S gloves. I take XL gloves, and the ergonomics are great.

Having spent the last week or so in Sportsman’s Warehouse in Alaska picking out an RF alpha binocular (I bought the new Zeiss for the combination of superior optics and electronics), I was reminded in the non-ranging optics case just how marvelous the NVD is among the alphas, particularly in the 8x NVD’s I bought from Eagle.

But more than that, I spent considerable time in Africa with trade show demos of the 7x42, 8X42, and 10x50 all in UVHD+ that I bought from Gr8ful Doug at NY Camera. The 8 had some focus slop and Doug swapped them out, the 2nd pair were great. The 10 acted different focusing in than it did focusing out. No two UVHD+’s acted the same at the wheel, and I had four (remember the old threads on all that). Not so with the NVD. You can’t find the 8x NVD in Alaska, but the NVD 10’s are in most stores that you can find EL’s, and all the NVD’s act the same without slop at the wheel so far..

I’ve given considerable use to the three HD+, and while I was particularly pleased optically with the 7x and 10x in the UVHD+, wow, neither could stand optically to the NVD. Throw in industrial design and manufacturing QC, and the NVD stands even taller. They focus the same at -25 F Salcha, AK as they do at 103 F at midnight in the UAE.

I’m a little taken a back at the change in some users. One month extolling the praises of your NVD’s and now you’re not using them so much? Here’s hoping for an RF NVD.

“The eyecups are probably the best in the business. Focus adjustment is pretty much class leading as are objective covers and eye relief.”

L to R 10x and 8x UVHD+ Alabama, 7xUVHD+ Robben Island South Africa, 8x NVD’s Wasilla, AK, driving DarEsSalaam to Mbeya.

In quoting me above, you left out part of the quote and what I feel is an important part, in fact the preceding paragraph.......

I've had a chance to use the Noctivid 10X42 over the weekend a good bit, both Saturday and Sunday. That is kinda strange this time of year. Usually I'm using a 7X or 8X and that's it. This weekend was a Leica weekend for me with the pairing of a 7X42 and the 10X42 Noctivid. I went to a new spot for me on Saturday so one really has no idea what the birding situation will be. Also yesterday went to a few areas I KNEW would be open so the 10X was a natural.

So that WHOLE QUOTE was really in reference to the Noctivid 10X42 which MAY very well BE my favorite 10X42. The OP was asking if anyone had gone back from the 8X42 Noctivid back to the UVHD+ 7X42/8X42. So....even tho I DO have the 8X42 Noctivid...THAT model has never won me over to start with as I prefer the UVHD+ 7X42 to the Noctivid 8X42...always have. You kind of made it seem like I was talking out of both sides of my mouth which I may in fact be guilty of at times, but this time... NO. In fact, the 8X42 Noctivid is rather a ways down my use hierarchy simply because I have more than one quality 8X binocular to choose from AND several very nice 7X42s....simple as that. No need to be taken aback. And there has been no change.

In NO WAY should MY preference supersede anyone else's....your's included....it's opinion. If one is happy with a 8X42 Noctivid, they have every reason TO be and more power to them. HOWEVER, the virtues of the UVHD+ are well known to me(I still have both the 7X42 AND 8X42) and others and folks that appreciate and enjoy THAT binocular have no need to hang their head.

Sorry Chill6X6, I should have caught that there were two NVD’s in play in your comments.

I myself sold the 8x42 UVHD+ and 7x42 UVHD+ in favor of the NVD 8X42.

Sorry again, really just inexcusable to make someone look like their affections/opinion shifted when they had not.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back