• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northern Bald Ibis (1 Viewer)

AlexC

Aves en Los Ángeles
Opus Editor
Discussion thread for Northern Bald Ibis. If you would like to add a comment, click the Post Reply button.

------------

Common name consensus:
Waldrapp: Clements, S&M
Northern Bald Ibis: H&M

Allow me to note, however, the Opus is currently inconsistent. All authorities which use Northern Bald Ibis for eremita use Southern Bald Ibis for calvus, and all authorities which use Waldrapp for eremita use Bald Ibis for calvus. We have a mismatch of Northern Bald Ibis and Bald Ibis. This causes confusion.

Also, allow me to preemptively present the counter-argument to "using Bald Ibis would be confusing," Bald Ibis has a redirect text at the top of it, just like Anhinga and Jabiru.

Either way, we need to switch one of them, and considering that the Waldrapp/Bald Ibis combo is supported by Clements and S&M, I vote we go with that.

Last edited:
I would prefer to go with IOC and H&M and change calvus to Southern Bald Ibis; Roberts Birds of Southern Africa has also just changed from Bald Ibis to Southern Bald Ibis for the southern African endemic.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back