• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (20 Viewers)

Nice bit of wader passage through the patch in the last couple of days with my first ever LRP for the patch yesterday along with up to 4 Green Sands and a Common Sand, and a Greenshank through today.

A Mandarin was on Felbrigg Lake today, plus one of the Crested Ducks that were present there earlier in the year.

Simon

More importantly Penny - will Simon King be there this year?!!!
Now that will be something to look forward to.
Best wishes
Richard

Of course Simon will be there - he always is!!!!!!!;) Of course I will be queuing for my yearly picture again and signed card. I am a devoted fan, but then you already know that!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Hi all,
Not sure how many of you know me (or care) but I am returning to Norfolk after a years absence in Kent at Sandwich and Pegwell bay KWT. I will be starting my new role as Assistant Warden at Strumpshaw at the back end of August.
Looking forward to seeing some familiar friendly faces again, not to mention some more great Norfolk birding...I have missed it!

Well done to the observers of this mornings probable Wilson's petrel - a potential first for Norfolk? Betcha F.T.J. spat out his cornish cream tea when that news came out on t'pager!

Well done to the observers of this mornings probable Wilson's petrel - a potential first for Norfolk? Betcha F.T.J. spat out his cornish cream tea when that news came out on t'pager!

I wonder if the observers feel the same?!? Must have been a frustrating sighting - unless they were more confident than the 'probable' suggests!
Anybody know any details? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to name names on here!! Amazing the bird took 45 mins to get from Sheringham and to Cley, it's usually only 10! What did it get up to in between, I wonder?!?
(Also amazing it was seen at both sites considering the (lack of) conditions this morning!)

Titchwell July 23rd

Today's highlights

Spoonbill - 1 east at 11:05. Just had a response on a colour ringed bird that was here on the 17th. It was ringed in France in May and was seen was seen at the Ouse Washes on June 26th and at Welney on July 15th and 19th.
Green sandpiper - 1 on fresh marsh
Greenshank - 1 on fresh marsh
No sign of the pec sand so far today.

Paul

I wonder if the observers feel the same?!? Must have been a frustrating sighting - unless they were more confident than the 'probable' suggests!
Anybody know any details? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to name names on here!! Amazing the bird took 45 mins to get from Sheringham and to Cley, it's usually only 10! What did it get up to in between, I wonder?!?
(Also amazing it was seen at both sites considering the (lack of) conditions this morning!)

You're obviously underestimating the "fresh NNW winds" ;) - there is a summary of the sighting now on the UK400 club blog (http://uk400clubrarebirdalert.blogspot.com/). Bearing in mind the eight observers at Cley I'm surprised it was still put out as a probable.

Simon King

Of course Simon will be there - he always is!!!!!!!;) Of course I will be queuing for my yearly picture again and signed card. I am a devoted fan, but then you already know that!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Penny
Trust you will post your picture with Simon on here and on your blog, and that you enjoy your time with someone who is a great naturalist and a thoroughly nice chap. Best one by a country mile on Spring and Autumn Watch.
Best wishes
Richard

You're obviously underestimating the "fresh NNW winds" ;) - there is a summary of the sighting now on the UK400 club blog (http://uk400clubrarebirdalert.blogspot.com/). Bearing in mind the eight observers at Cley I'm surprised it was still put out as a probable.

I agree with you there James...
Fantastic Norfolk record. Presumably only the second north sea record too??
The winds looked great this afternoon when I was strolling along Cromer beach on a (unfortunately) non birding visit!

there is a summary of the sighting now on the UK400 club blog ([url said:
http://uk400clubrarebirdalert.blogspot.com/[/url]). QUOTE]

Just to set the record straight, the bird was not I.D`d by Kevin as a Wilsons, he called it as a "storm petrel" but was alerted by the fact that it performed two large shears/glides as it flew past & was definately not a Leaches. He then phoned the bird out to B.I.S.

Reappearance of the Bluethroat

Brilliant morning at Welney today. First up, the juv. Spoonbill showed much better than this species normally does! The Pectoral Sandpiper was quickly located a few metres away from the Spoonbill and a Green Sandpiper and Little Ringed Plover were seen from the main observatory too.

Moving on to Lyle hide nothing was of note except a few Yellow Wagtails and Marsh Harrier. At Friends hide a Wood Sandpiper showed nicely and a Grasshopper Warbler was reeling nearby.

Walking back we decided to check Lyle hide again, and on walking into the building I flushed a bird that had been preening on the windowsill! Walking up to the window quickly I saw it as it flew into the reeds, and noting the red on its tail as it landed I called James over. It was the Bluethroat, and it had been on the windowsill of the hide!!!

A nervous wait ensued, as James had missed this bird 4 times already. Suddenly a small bird hopped into the undergrowth just in front of the hide. It was dark on the back, but it couldn't be anything else. Soon after, the Bluethroat just walked out and performed brilliantly for us. It was clear that it was in moult; grey on the back and the breast colours were fading, along with a creamish patch on the forehead. It was skulking most of the time, keeping on the ground, so I had walked in at just the right moment!

After a few more views we left the bird, and told others on site about it. I think it was the first sighting of it for a few weeks now, but no doubt it will be thinking of migrating before too long.

Attached are pictures of the Spoonbill and a record shot of the less obliging Pectoral Sandpiper.

Attachments

• Spoonbill.jpg
    Spoonbill.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 71
  • Spoonbill 2.jpg
    Spoonbill 2.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 79
  • Spoonbill 3.jpg
    Spoonbill 3.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 65
  • Pectoral Sandpiper.jpg
    Pectoral Sandpiper.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 106
Titchwell July 24th

Today's highlights

Pectoral sandpiper - adult on fresh marsh all day
Little ringed plover - 3 on fresh marsh
Spotted redshank - 4 on fresh marsh
Golden plover - 12 on fresh marsh
Green sandpiper - 3 on fresh marsh
Med gull - 1 on fresh marsh

Paul

I agree with you there James...
Fantastic Norfolk record. Presumably only the second north sea record too??
The winds looked great this afternoon when I was strolling along Cromer beach on a (unfortunately) non birding visit!
Wilson's Storm Petrel was watched flying past Hartlepool Headland on the evening of 7.9.06 it's been accepted .Also another one was seen from a boat off the Northumberland coast in Sept 2002 and that is also been accepted.

While at Hunstanton with the family this evening i did take a look out at the sea,managed 6 Gannet and 1 Arctic Skua,2 year ticks.....didn't see any Wilson's Petrel though ;)

Last edited:
Titchwell update

As I am sure you are aware, Year 2 of the project started today and until further notice, the main path to be beach will be closed. A present we are unsure how long the closure will be in place but it is hoped that we will be able to open again fully in the next 6-8 weeks. I will try to update on a weekly basis but the reserve blog (link below) will allow an almost daily progress report. Until there is access to the fresh marsh, there will be no daily bird updates.

Please bear with us!

Paul

http://www.rspb.org.uk/reserves/guide/t/titchwellmarsh/blog.aspx

North Scrape at Cley looked peachy this afternoon, 2 Curlew Sandpipers, over 100 Dunlin, Spotted Redshank, numerous Green Sands, Common Sand, 4 Greenshanks and all the regular stuff. Looks good for a rarity in the coming weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back