• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ED50 13-40x (1 Viewer)

I have a buddy who upgraded to Swaro's and he is offering me the ED50 w/ 13-40x and neoprene cover for $500. I have looked at this scope before and thought if were to come along at the right price. I was hoping to get opinions if this is a deal or not or I should ask if he would take less. Thanks for you help!

Last edited:
Hi,

price and glass are good, even better if you can test it - the only gripe is that all nikon zooms are very narrow.

PS: hunters are not too well regarded here...

Joachim

Hi,

PS: hunters are not too well regarded here...

Joachim

Not true here in the US, as most birders recognize that the hunting community spearheaded and funded the major Federal habitat conservation programs. Birders applauded, but hunters put up the money.
I agree that some hunting aspects are egregious and deserving of censure, but overall, hunters are in the same boat as birders, we both want to preserve nature for us and our children to enjoy.
At a time when nature is becoming ever less visible, obscured by a fog of digital gizmos and artificial foods and experiences, we need to hang together lest we surely all hang separately.

Bearcat here is what I did with mine. My wife has a hair shop at our home.;)

Attachments

• Wrapping ED50 camo 003 (800x532).jpg
    Wrapping ED50 camo 003 (800x532).jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 193
  • Wrapping ED50 camo 001 (800x532).jpg
    Wrapping ED50 camo 001 (800x532).jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 181
Bearcat here is what I did with mine. My wife has a hair shop at our home.;)

Great idea. I haven't owed a spotter before and would be my 1st one. I welcome all ideas and suggestions. I am hopefully going to be able to inspect it tonight. I am obviously going to inspect the lenses for scratches, test the zoom functionality, look for wear but if there is any other things I should be looking for when I actually look through the scope (some warning signs/ defects) that would be appreciated.

Thanks

Great idea. I haven't owed a spotter before and would be my 1st one. I welcome all ideas and suggestions. I am hopefully going to be able to inspect it tonight. I am obviously going to inspect the lenses for scratches, test the zoom functionality, look for wear but if there is any other things I should be looking for when I actually look through the scope (some warning signs/ defects) that would be appreciated.

Thanks

I have the same scope, and it has the same eyepiece, the 13-40 on the ED50.
This eyepiece is better than the smaller model. I prefer a zoom eyepiece
on my scopes.
I like and respect this scope, and say wow every time I use it.

$450 - $500, is in the right price range.

Good luck, this is one of the best small scopes on the market today.

Jerry

...offering me the ED50 w/ 13-40x and neoprene cover for $500...

That's a reasonable price. New and USA warrantied would be hundreds more. However, you could buy the body and eyepiece (separately) gray market from Japan (e.g. through Amazon USA) for only a little more, so if the used scope is at all worn/damaged, you should argue for a lower price.

Anyone know if Nikon current policy is to honor no-fault policy for official USA imports that are purchased used directly from another person? If they do, than the used scope might be the better choice.

--AP

That's a reasonable price. New and USA warrantied would be hundreds more. However, you could buy the body and eyepiece (separately) gray market from Japan (e.g. through Amazon USA) for only a little more, so if the used scope is at all worn/damaged, you should argue for a lower price.

Anyone know if Nikon current policy is to honor no-fault policy for official USA imports that are purchased used directly from another person? If they do, than the used scope might be the better choice.

--AP

Alexis:

Yes, Nikon will fix or replace preowned optics. I have experience.

Jerry

The Nikon MCII features 39 degrees at low power and opens to 60 degrees apparent field of view at max magnification..It is really not far from standard zooms offering 42-60 degrees field of view..The view through this eyepiece is remarkable regarding contrast and sharpness through the entire fov.I agree that compared with wide angle zooms like the current batch of alphas or even the Baader zoom ,it would feel restrictive,but mostly on paper,because i think in the field the zoom performs fine in that regard ..my complaint with the zoom is in regards of eye relief at high power..I have never been able to get a good view with eyeglases on at 40x with the ED50,but at lower magnifications works better..I have owned a couple of the MCII ,as well as the small zoom and all the wide angle eyepieces at one time or the others and the ED 50 is not going to dissapoint you with any of these eyepieces..Optics aside ,the Zoom is a good value and still goes for 200 dollars More or less, in good condition,so if it doesnt work for you you can trade it or sell it easily,although ,and specially if you dont need glasses ,would be a good idea to keep it and maybe complement it with a wide angle eyepiece for digiscoping or to get a differemt experience...low power wide eyepieces like the 16x.are truly spectacular and addicitive on the little nikon ..I think if you can get the combo for 450 ,you are getting a really good deal.

Thanks for all the great info and replies. I offered less due to some minor scratches on the lense and some wear on the body. He said no...I will live. Was looking at the Vortex 11x33x50mm.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back