• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon coolpix b700 (2 Viewers)

Eli

Hi

Anyone out there who knows anything about the nikon coolpix b700? I am looking to replace my canon powershot SX50 HS which I managed to break earlier this year.. The b700 sounds interesting, but I can't find any proper tests of it.
I am a keen birdwatcher, and I am looking for a camera suitable for bird photos, also birds in flight.

Regards Eli

Apparently it has entered the shops only a few days ago. The latest remark in that thread ("Does seem to have a problem focusing") isn't encouraging. - When I wanted something new after using the SX50 for four years, I seriously considered the Nikon P900. Even today I'd prefer the heavier model P900 (over the B700) which is available used for circa Euro 400.

On the other side, you mention "birds in flight". And that was exactly the reason why I finally bought the Nikon V2 and the 70-300CX lens. What these superzooms P900 or B700 can offer, at best, are small upgrades over the SX50. Their 5 or 7fps and the slow autofocus still isn't sufficient for much BIF.

These were taken with a P900 at 500 mm handheld of a Crow chasing a Kestrel - they raced around me 360 deg and I managed to get quite a few shots against a blank sky - I find the autofocus adequate - the enormous tele range is so useful. The camera is built down to a price and is quite crippled compared to a decent DSLR but it's versatility suits me - I've been interchangeable lens route before and would never go back just for birds in flight when I've got scope and bins to hump around as well

Attachments

• DSCN9864.jpg
    DSCN9864.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 1,191
  • DSCN9870.jpg
    DSCN9870.jpg
    377.9 KB · Views: 945
These were taken with a P900 at 500 mm handheld of a Crow chasing a Kestrel - they raced around me 360 deg and I managed to get quite a few shots against a blank sky - I find the autofocus adequate - the enormous tele range is so useful. The camera is built down to a price and is quite crippled compared to a decent DSLR but it's versatility suits me - I've been interchangeable lens route before and would never go back just for birds in flight when I've got scope and bins to hump around as well

Nice photos. - The V2+70-300CX combo is more expensive, but weighs 894g, 4g less than the P900. You can even separate lens and camera, easier to put them in your coat's pockets than with the P900. ;)

Thank you for Your comments! I have considered the P900, but I'm a bit concerned about the weight. The b700 is much lighter, and I'm also lugging around a telescope and binoculars. The b700 also offers raw as an alternative, but I have no experience with that although it sounds interesting. Your combo sounds good Hermit, but I am also very interested in moths and butterflies f. ex. and want the macro function to be available all the time! The SX50 was great there! I have seen some great shots from the P900 on the net, yours including Chris, so I struggle a bit with decision now. Hopefully somebody will test the b700 soon, as I see it's for sale at long last here in Norway too.

Shooting in raw format makes a big difference - in particular if you edit the files with something like DxO Optics Pro. This factor, plus the weight, are indeed real advantages of the B700. I admit that on days when I want to shoot macro around noon, I have to take another body + lens + extension tubes with me, adding a total of (another) 500g to the gear. - I am also eager to see reviews of the new camera.

Hi all I have just treated myself to one of these to compliment my dslr my question is what is the best memory card for this camera what do you guys use

Hi all I have just treated myself to one of these to compliment my dslr my question is what is the best memory card for this camera what do you guys use

This website says "no UHS support", so a cheaper "class 10" card should be sufficient.

In my own UHS-I capable camera I prefer more expensive (40+ Euro) SanDisk Extreme Pro 64GB cards, you can buy cards below 20 Euro without regret. ;)

I can't add any advice on memory cards, but I can't wait to hear what you think about the camera! I would really appreciate to see some photos too when you get that far!

I can't add any advice on memory cards, but I can't wait to hear what you think about the camera! I would really appreciate to see some photos too when you get that far!

Hi mate I took it out yesterday afternoon for a play its great fun I love the zoom I used it to id birds at huge distances and its equally good for close up shots. You do need a monopod for digital zoom its hard to hold steady but I love it anyway

Last edited:
Hi mate I took it out yesterday afternoon for a play its great fun I love the zoom I used it to id birds at huge distances and its equally good for close up shots. You do need a monopod for digital zoom its hard to hold steady but I love it anyway

Thanks, that makes me even more interested in the camera |=)|
Hope to see some photos soon!

Coolpix B700 memory cards

Here is what the Coolpix B700 Reference Manual (p200) states with respect to memory cards:

Memory Cards That Can Be Used
The camera supports SD, SDHC, and SDXC memory cards.
• The camera supports UHS-I.
• Memory cards with an SD Speed Class rating of 6 or faster are recommended for recording movies (when recording 4K UHD movies at an image size/frame rate of 2160/30p or 2160/25p, cards rated UHS Speed Class 3 or faster are recommended). When using a memory card with a lower Speed Class rating, movie recording may stop unexpectedly.​

Hope this helps.

Here is what the Coolpix B700 Reference Manual (p200) states with respect to memory cards:

Memory Cards That Can Be Used
The camera supports SD, SDHC, and SDXC memory cards.
• The camera supports UHS-I.

Thanks for the correction. In that case I can warmly recommend the SanDisk Extreme Pro 64GB with a write speed of up to 95MB/sec.

This camera seems very similar to the P610 which seems like a fairly decent replacement for the P600. Is RAW capability the only reason to choose the B700 over the P610? Or are there other factors? I found RAW to be unnecessary tbh...just my own personal opinion.

Hello out there, I'm sure there must be more info by now about this camera. Would love to get some more reports here.

One of my friends claims stills taken from 4K videos of his B700 are rather better than straight photos. Can this be confirmed?

Hello out there, I'm sure there must be more info by now about this camera. Would love to get some more reports here.

One of my friends claims stills taken from 4K videos of his B700 are rather better than straight photos. Can this be confirmed?

One possibility could be because it's like taking stills on continuous, with a long zoom it's possible to get unsharp images from the first couple of shots out of a burst but then some sharp ones.

I found that on the P900 and full zoom my first and even my second shot were often not as good as the later ones in the burst.

One possibility could be because it's like taking stills on continuous, with a long zoom it's possible to get unsharp images from the first couple of shots out of a burst but then some sharp ones.

I found that on the P900 and full zoom my first and even my second shot were often not as good as the later ones in the burst.

Thanks Mike, this makes sense. I'll tell my friend to test it.

I am a Canon user. Currently using the 7D with 500mm 4.0 L IS. I am in the process of downgrading to 100-400 'll with 7D2 due to health issue. I am considering either P900 or B700 as a everyday carry around as I cannot easily mobilise my DSLR with humidity hitting upper 90s at time. With a lightweight tripod in my car, I can get any bird or other Nature stuff anytime. My primary hobby is bird but also into butterflies, insects at times.
Considering my purpose, would one recommend the P900 or B700?

Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back