View Single Post
Old Monday 19th January 2004, 02:07   #5
samuel walker
It's OK to be a little blue........

lifers

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattianne
We were crossing the Bonne Carre Spillway today enroute to New Orleans when we spotted two adult bald eagles. They were perched in the top branches of barren trees growing in the shallow water area. Their white heads glistened in the sunshine; we do have a beautiful national bird. We also saw about thirty brown Pelicans as we passed over the spillway waters. The eagles were "lifers" for me and I wonder, have the majority of your lifers been recorded while on a "birding expedition" or when you least expected it. I guess mine would have to be the latter. Just this winter, I've seen two lifers: scissor tail flycatcher and now the eagles and wasn't prepared with my camera or my binoculars either time. And sometimes, if you do have a camera at hand, circumstances prevent you from getting a photo. When have you seen your lifers??
Hi Pattianne:
I've been birding now for about 4 years. In the beginning I'd pick up a lifer on every outing to a local hot spot. The big trips like to Cape May NJ were overwhelming sighting 4 life birds in a half hour. A little too easy. I think some of the best were ones I fell into. We'd go off on a twitch for a tri-colored heron and see a snowy egret and miss the heron.I have friends who cry about not seeing a sora " I live in Ohio and I should have seen that bird by now". When that day comes and the bird walks out of the marsh it will be special and never forgotten. That's why I bird every day possible.
be ready
Sam
1969-1972