• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

US Central Flyway-What's on your fence line? (1 Viewer)

buckskin hawk

Oklahoma Birder
What is new at your patch in the Central Flyway?

My local patch in rural eastern Oklahoma is coming alive with migrants and new winter arrivals. The leaves have just reached their best color and will soon be gone. It is dry and the highs are in the 70s and lows in the 40s. Fall is definitely here.

My New arrivals include:
American Kestral
Robins in flocks (mostly immatures)
Yellow Bellied Sapsucker
Yellow rumped wablers (about three dozen in a very busy flock)
White Throated Sparrow
Chipping sparrow
Some very mustard yellow sparrow that is suspected to be a Savannah
Northern Harrier

My Kingfisher stayed for about three weeks but I think he is gone now.

central-mississippi

hi.

Very interesting ,thought I would be in the central flyway(manitoba),
but no in the mississippi flyway!Besides most birds have left,lakes
freezing over, snow.

hi.

Very interesting ,thought I would be in the central flyway(manitoba),
but no in the mississippi flyway!Besides most birds have left,lakes
freezing over, snow.

I think you are in both flyways. I associate the Mississippi flyway with Waterfowl. The Central contains more variety and overlaps in the north. We have some migrating waterfowl through eastern Oklahoma but not as many as in Arkansas.
Take a look at the maps in this website. http://www.birdnature.com/flyways.html

PS. Our first light frost is supposed to come tonight with a predicted low of 31.

New arrivals this week include:

Bald Eagle (They send the winter along the Arkansas River.)
White Crowned Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Grasshopper Sparrow
Lincoln's Sparrow
Harris Sparrow
Dark Eyed Juncos
(The sparrows have landed!)

I am surprised to still have a pair of Eastern Phoebes. I wonder how long they will stay. They are my last flycatchers.

Add to this a great find! A Nelson's Sharp Tailed Sparrow!!!

Also new this week was a Loggerhead Shrike at my farm.
At the local Nature center-Golden Crowned Kinglets, Coopers Hawk and a Pied billed Grebe.

I had another "mustard colored sparrow" but I after consulting the local birding experts I am changing my id to a Nelson's Sharp Tailed Sparrow and not a Grasshopper. The first bird was more than likely a juvenile (brighter with a clear breast) and the second showed barring on the flanks and was a bit duller. Both were spotted at the edge of the pond with a tall grass pasture to the south. (Tall grass of 4 feet+.)

New arrivals this week include:

Bald Eagle (They send the winter along the Arkansas River.)
White Crowned Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Grasshopper Sparrow---Changed to a Nelson's Sharp Tailed Sparrow.
Lincoln's Sparrow
Harris Sparrow
Dark Eyed Juncos
(The sparrows have landed!)

I am surprised to still have a pair of Eastern Phoebes. I wonder how long they will stay. They are my last flycatchers.

New this week include:

Cooper's Hawk (or was it a sharpie? Oh well I am going with a Cooper's since it had a curved tail and definite barring on the breast.)
Cedar Waxwing

Some of the birds I have been seeing here in Missouri (Mississippi & Central Flyways) have been Lapland Longspurs; Le Conte's, Fox, White-crowned, White-throated, Harris's and Lincoln's Sparrows, Prairie Falcon.

Today I saw Winter Wren and Yellow-rumped Warbler.

Central/missippi flyway

Well, it is almost the end of November and the day time high's are -15C . Today a bald eagle flew over the house , a harris sparrow visited the feeders with a flock of european house sparrows . Two pairs of pine grosbeaks were busy with the sunflower seeds and a northern shrike made off with one of our regular white breasted nuthatches. Other regulars at the feeder include a single junco, several red breasted nuthatches. hairy , downy and pileated woodpeckers, the latter nests on our lot in a dead manitoba maple, one blue jay and 3 pairs of chicadees
a couple of pine siskins were the only birds at the thistle seeds. Tonight will be -27C according to the weather net so it's unlikely that we will see many more migrants this year.
bye for now
Andy

Andy: I have a Harris Sparrow that is probably going to winter over in my brush pile. He has been there most of the month of November. The range on some of these guys is astounding. These guys must be pretty temperature tollerent. The temperature started at 73F yesterday morning and by noon it dropped to a wind chill of the low 30s.

Larry, if you have a Prairie falcon then the hawks can't be that far behind. I haven't seen another Northern Harrier or any Rough Legged Hawks yet. I would love to add a Prairie Falcon this winter.

New this week: Cedar Waxwings

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back